Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

9 favorite Crossfire moments
September 6th, 2013

9 favorite Crossfire moments

Since the 1982 launch of CNN's Crossfire, there have been plenty of unforgettable moments, including some memorable faces. Thirty-one years later, we recount nine of our favorite Crossfire moments, from passionate debates to settled bets.

Crossfire returns to CNN on Monday, September 9 at 6:30 p.m. ET.

1. Frank Zappa on dirty song lyrics (1986)

Musician Frank Zappa, cleaned up in a suit and tie, engaged in a fiery debate about dirty song lyrics.

2. Then-Congressman-elect Paul Ryan (1998)

As we started pulling these tapes off the shelf, we were surprised to find so many guests who went on to become household names. In his 1998 appearance, Paul Ryan had not even begun his first term in Congress.

3. James Carville hides in a trash can (2002)

Then-host James Carville responded to the 2002 Democratic mid-term election losses in a way only Carville could.

4. Rush Limbaugh on burning the flag (1990)

In this clip, a "burning" debate raged between talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Bob Lassiter over the right to burn the flag.

5. Intense moment with anti-government group MOVE (1985)

During a 1985 eviction fight, Philadelphia police dropped a bomb on a row house occupied by a group called MOVE. Six months later, MOVE member Louise James Africa appeared on Crossfire to defend the group against allegations it threw garbage in the street.

6. Ku Klax Klan Grand Wizard makes an appearance (1982)

CNN’s Crossfire never has – and never will – shy away from controversy. Sooner or later, anyone who works on Crossfire hears about a 1982 episode where the guest’s views offended the hosts – and we warn you, those views are no less offensive or repugnant now, 31 years later.

7. Tucker Carlson eats Hillary Clinton's "shoe" (2003)

One of the biggest surprises occurred when host Tucker Carlson promised to eat his shoes if Hillary Clinton sold a million copies of her autobiography. She delivered.

8. Ambassador to the UN Jeane Kirkpatrick on the Middle East (1988)

Twenty-five years ago, U.N. Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick said something about the Middle East, including Syria, that’s as true now as it was when she said it.

9. Communist candidate discusses bid for VP (1984)

Activist and Communist party candidate for vice president Angela Davis appeared on Crossfire to discuss communism in America.

Posted by
Filed under: Crossfire Classic
  1. manman

This is like listing the most significant events in the life of the Twin Towers and omitting 9/11.

September 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Reply
    • Elizabeth

The best Jon Stewart reference. Perfect.

September 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  2. Jennifer

I think the comments sum it up. The only good thing about the original crossfire had been the moment when Jon Stewart managed to euthanize it. We don't want this reboot, we don't need it. Bad move, CNN. I visit this page out of habit, but this has finally motivated me to break the bad habit.

September 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  3. Tony Karais

Yeah, another useless show where two gas bags yell at each other under the guise of "debate" further sucking the soul out of this country.

September 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  4. John Smith

I will always remember when Jon Stewart went on Crossfire and called it out on the joke it was. His parody news show is still more credible and more reliable than any other news organization in America.

September 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  5. PC Cleveland

#1 on the list – Jon Stewart single handedly taking the show down after 30 yrs on the air...They must be desperate if they are bringing this show back...

September 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  6. bryant black

Did Jon Stewart's one two punch hit so hard it caused permenant memory loss?

September 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Reply
    • The Original Dude

I was wondering the same thing. Where is Stewart's take down of the Crossfire crew?

September 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Reply
      • Tony Karais

You think CNN will show a clip that effectively killed the show the first time around and exposing its hosts for the clowns they were/are? Ha! CNN is a serious news organization people!

September 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  7. John Creamer

And no inclusion of the appearance of Jon Stewart, who so ably described what an asinine program Crossfire was?

September 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  8. John Creamer

And no inclusion of the episode with Jon Stewart who summed up this asinine program so ably?

September 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  9. Kevin

Failing to mention Jon Stewart shows that the new program will be just as much a farce as the old one.

September 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  10. nowreally

Where is Jon Stewart? You guys have your heads stuck in the sand if you don't think that is the favorite moment for most of the world.... Except your producers I guess.... Why don't you let us vote?

September 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  11. luzzionz2013

how can this be the 9 top without the Jon Stewart epic clip ? sham . this is CNN in a nutshell don't show substance show entertainment really the KKK guy ???

September 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  12. fan

No mention of jon stewart? not unexpected, but the fact that every other comment on here mentions jon stewart totally made up for it.

September 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  13. Robert

Is this supposed to promote Crossfire? All it's doing is reminding me what an idiotic almost Jerry Springer like-insult to my intelligence formula you created. Congratulations on one thing: You were truly innovative in igniting the destruction of objective, thoughtful, non-bias journalism by acting as a pre-cursor to the preposterously combative MSNBCs and FOX News' type shows of the world....well done. Apparently you are genuinely proud of this. I'd rather watch paint dry.

September 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Reply
    • ed

amen

September 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Reply
    • JAY

Reminds me of all the reasons I hated that show. No thanks !!

September 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  14. Ralph Hayward

These are CNN's favorite moments. Remembering Jon Stewart would be like remembering when your house burned down.

September 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Reply
  15. Gordon

Really, try no memorable moments. You people constantly try to make the news about yourselves. Try again.

September 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  16. Shaun

Seriously? All nine moments should have come from the Jon Stewart episode. Regardless of whether or not it was a good memory, it was BY FAR the MOST memorable episode.

September 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  17. callmecrazy

Grinch and Jones should puff out their chests just like the women.

September 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  18. zeb

Actually, CNN is smart! Notice they only put up their *9* best moments. Tonight they will publish the #1 best moment on Crossfire - drum-roll please!!! And the best Crossfire moment - JOOOOOOOONNNNNNN STEEEEEWWWWAAAARRRTTT!

September 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
    • Aaron

Yes, when I think CNN, I think smart. Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. This will definitely be a step up in intellectual political discourse.

September 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Reply
      • zeb

Apologize to all who earlier did not get my sarcasm.... We really ought to invent a "Sarcasm" font!

September 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
  19. Mike

If they won't have he who's name they shall not say on the show again, maybe they could have Stephen Colbert. (as "Colber"). It would be a perfect reductio ad absurdum.

September 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  20. Aaron

The fact that Stewart isn't here shows how little integrity CNN and Crossfire return have. At least be honest with yourselves, everyone knows the Stewart clip is by far the most memorable.

September 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • Mehgann

I agree! He singlehandedly brought that show down, and they don't have it up here? SAD.

September 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • commonsenseredux

I'm totally with you on this one.

September 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  21. Roy Budiantara

I'm surprised that interview with Jon Stewart isn't in the list... That was my most memorable moment for me

September 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  22. CitizenKK

Stephanie Cutters resume reads like a who's who of losers.....Kennedy, Reid, Obama. Van Jones...delusional.

September 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  23. MTP

So CNN is going to try and resurrect this show with hosts that nobody really cares about? Good luck.

September 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  24. Gary A.

Christopher Hitchens making a fool out of Ed Meese way back when Michael Kinsley and Robert Novak hosted the show was one of my top moments. Meese had a bandaid on his cheek for some reason and he was reduced to sputtering, "You're a liar!" I've never seen anyone's face get so red so fast. The bandaid really stood out as Meese got redder and redder.

September 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  25. callmecrazy

CNN, tell these guys to be professional and not try to talk over each other. Keep it civil otherwise the result will be the same as the last time. Oh, and Jon Stewart rocks.

September 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  26. joe schmoe

Most of the people here probably never watched Crossfire, except the one episode where their liberal hero (Jon Stewart) came on the show to do his funniest bit ever. The one where he sanctimoniously lectured the hosts about how they spin the truth to make their dogs in the fight look better. Personally I think that Jon was unhappy that they were teaching the world what 'spin' is, and highlighting that his show is nothing but a democratic propaganda spin factory hidden behind a few jokes, written by people other than Jon Stewart.

September 9, 2013 at 11:46 am | Reply
    • Ramsey

Spoken like a true ideologue.

September 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Reply
      • joe schmoe

Replied to like a true liberal who doesn't like what he read.

I'm an Independent, very middle of the road. I've voted both Democrat, and Republican in my lifetime. I vote with who I think is best for our country, not who I'm told is the best. I'm smart enough to see past spin that these paid liars want me to believe. That's all this show was, it put a couple of opinionated pitchmen in a room to verbally attack the opposite side's candidate. You take the good with the bad, but these guys tried to wrap a bow around dung. I personally enjoyed the show, and seeing how these guys manipulate the truth. When Jon Stewart came on the show all that went through my head was 'why aren't you telling jokes, you're a comedian, make me laugh'. I'm sure that people started asking him whether or not he was spinning his 'jokes' to put down Republicans, in the same way the jokers on Crossfire do. If you're not an 'idealogue' you can see similarities of Jon doing the same thing with the majority of his schtick. Then again, if the pot wants to call the kettle black, I guess it's black.

September 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • J

And I supposed you watch The Daily Show on a regular basis to make that claim?

September 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Reply
      • joe schmoe

I use to... yes

September 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
      • joe schmoe

I still watch the Colbert Report every night from 7-7:30, but I change the channel to watch Family Guy when it's over.

September 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • zippyboo

"Stop hurting America"

September 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Reply
    • NotJonStewart

"When Jon Stewart came on the show all that went through my head was 'why aren't you telling jokes, you're a comedian, make me laugh'." ROFL nice try Tucker Carlson!

September 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Reply
      • Joe Schmoe

That's you, isn't it Jonny.. You, and your minions can fool these other schmoe's, but not this one. Try being more like Colbert and throw the slop in both directions, instead of just those who don't share your ideological views. It's known that Colbert's a liberal, but he does not pull punches, he makes fun of everyone! Stephen Colbert in 2016!!!

..and yes, Jon Stewart was once a comedian that I watched every day on the Daily Show. I've even gone back and watched his show a few times to see if he'd gone back to being even handed with his jokes, but it was more of the same one-sided jokes. Some of us are still middle of the road, and think that there are both good people, and crazy people both sides of the isle. I just haven't seen that in the last few years from Jon Stewart, and if I wanted to be brainwashed with rhetoric, I'd watch shows like Crossfire or pretty much anything on Fox News. Again. .. mix it up, don't just preach to the choir. We get it.

September 9, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
  27. Mike

Add another comment to the list saying that the Jon Stewart bit should be here.

September 9, 2013 at 10:52 am | Reply
  28. k3ith

You know everyone just clicked to find out if CNN had the nerve to include the Jon Stewart clip. No real surprise that they didn't.

September 9, 2013 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • spooooon

That's exactly what I did. Stewart pretty much blew up the program and it was soon off the air.

September 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  29. Tito

Not to beat a dead horse but the Jon Stewart episode is THE most memorable episode. Stop it... You're hurting America.

September 9, 2013 at 10:00 am | Reply
  30. Mike

The Jon Stewart interview was the best Crossfire moment.

September 9, 2013 at 9:02 am | Reply
  31. Fred

Conspicuously missing is the John Stewart appearance where he implores the hosts to help elevate discourse in this country and generally makes fools of them. Widely believed to have led to the shows cancellation

September 9, 2013 at 8:10 am | Reply
  32. Elizabeth

Countdown to Jon Stewart's next appearance begins now.

September 9, 2013 at 8:00 am | Reply
  33. stevetall

So, now we have Newt on Crossfire? You're kidding, right? This guy is so far from a "great mind", I can't believe you would put him on the air. He's a clown who belongs on Fox with all the other confused malcontents. Really scrapping the bottom of the barrel, eh?

September 9, 2013 at 2:27 am | Reply
    • SteveOfTx

You are wrong. Newt Gingrich is one of the smartest minds in politics. In fact, he's so smart he's scary. He's probably the only Republican that understood the consequences of dismantling some of the programs he wanted to do away with. The other candidates didn't have a clue as to the results. What made Newt so scary is he understood the aftermath. He just didn't care. Having said that, I would have preferred him to the other candidates, because it was even scarier that the others would do the same things without really understanding what they were doing.

September 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Reply
      • Kathleen

Newt G is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person is.

September 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  34. Sphy

Crossfire was cancelled for a reason. Best leave it dead and buried.

September 9, 2013 at 1:37 am | Reply
  35. Callie

I only remember one episode of Crossfire, and it had Jon Stewart in it.

September 8, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  36. jango

c'mon guys, give cnn a break!!! how is this different from any of the other shows that basically has liberals and conservatives fighting like children!! why just beat cnn's show over it??? im a huge jon stewart fan, and its true he ended the show last time, but i have no problems with the format, infact i do wanna check it out and see how it goes....

September 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Reply
  37. Matt in Austin

The most memorable Crossfire moment was watching those two clowns getting dressed down by Jon Stewart. CNN was smart to pull the plug after that disaster.

Crossfire was a joke and was bad for the country. I don't expect the "new" Crossfire will be any better. I won't be watching.

September 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  38. Casey Lea

This is the best list of comments I've ever seen! No one bickering about someone's grammar, no left-wing or right-wing complaining, just 99% agreement that CNN should have had the integrity to put the Jon Stewart clip on the list. I love it. Thanks everyone. Thanks CNN for being so oblivious. And thank you Jon Stewart – I went and found the 14 minute clip on YouTube and it was well worth the review 9 years (?) later.

September 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Reply
  39. eric

A little stupid to have commercials before the videos when the videos themselves are commercials for a CNN show. Duh. Gonna have to boycott you for a while now.

September 8, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Reply
  40. OldSchool

Yeah, I can see why Jon Stewart coming on and ruthlessly excoriating the hosts for the divisive charade that they are participating in probably wouldn't fall under the category of the producer's "favorite" moments...

September 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  41. JJ68

The crossfire format is trolls arguing with each other. That isn't needed now that there are message boards, comment sections, and internet forums. The people arguing on the internet are often more well informed and can at least cite sources of their statistics, whether they are skewed or not. The two biggest ownage moments in the history of the show are Frank Zappa and John Stewart. Zappa exposed conservative media types for the ignorant loudmouths they are, and Stewart pointed out that the bell curve is upside down, populated with goombahs on both sides.

September 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  42. Fuzzbee

So great to see Frank Zappa on here. Boy, could we use him now to call out the madness that passes for the political situation in this country! Please show more clips of his appearances. And yes, you should air Jon Stewart busting Crossfire as well.

September 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Reply
  43. Aaron

My most memorable moment was the Jon Stewart interview. I can understand why it may not be one of CNN's Favorite episodes, but it was one of mine. In the first half of the show I was severely disappointed that Crossfire did not want to have an actual political discourse with an intelligent pop culture figure, but watched in awe as Jon Stewart wittingly turned the conversation and crowd against the hosts.

September 8, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  44. Andy

Jon Stewart.

September 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  45. Byron

You forgot Jon Stewart's episode that killed it. I imagine he is now doing the happy dance though. Hours of comedy that writes itself. You gotta give it to CNN. Unreliable, inaccurate, and inconsequential.

September 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Reply
  46. Gregware

Only CNN could take an individual who the vast majority of Americans have wholly rejected and basically said with their electoral voices, that they can't stand anything the man has to say, and make him the "star" of a twice failed venture known as "Crossfire". You really have to wonder what is going on over there at HQ. The absence of Stewart's appearance on their "greatest hits" list just shows you how little they believe in the viability of this train wreck, and how absolutely stupid they think we all are. Can you imagine being the idiot in the room who says" hey guys, I have an idea. Let's bring back Crossfire, but this time with 4 non journalists and 1 of them being Newt Gingrich." Brilliant!!!

September 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  47. TCC

As MANY have already stated, leaving Jon Stewart's appearance off this list is disingenuous at best and just plain dumb and cowardly at worst. Shame on you CNN.

September 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  48. Janine

The only way I would watch an episode would be to see Jon Stewart rightfully eviscerate it again.

September 8, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  49. Michael

Worthless show and tone deaf network. The exclusion of the most relevant segment, the one everyone is mentioning, is the proof in the pudding.

September 8, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  50. aaron

I see every other comment has the name "John Stewart" in it.

September 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  51. Con$tantine

I guess I'm not the first to point this out, but no list of "Best Crossfire Moments" would be complete without a mention of Jon Stewart's visit to the show and exposed the hackneyed/canned discourse of the show's cronies. Funny how CNN forgot about that.

September 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  52. Drew

ugh... Crossfire the CNN blah blah blah show is so boring. Terrible show. Now Crossfire the action packed children's game, that's exciting!

September 8, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Reply
  53. Ron

Hey, if you are going to show us the Frank Zappa interview, show us ALL of it, not whatever select portion you prefer.

September 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  54. That's just crazy talk

Funny they don't show the episode of Jon Stewart that took the show to task and basically ended it's running.

September 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Reply
    • Andrew

So you expect them to construct a giant sign pointing to the network saying "hey we're terrible!!!"?

Methinks they ignore his apperance for a reason. He gave away the game.

September 8, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Reply
    • mgray55

Spot on! I think the two words that killed it were "partisan hacekry". But in the words of Ray Davies, "Give the people what they want"

September 9, 2013 at 12:15 am | Reply
    • Ubershaman

Completely agree. That was the best episode, even listed on Wikipedia

September 9, 2013 at 1:01 am | Reply
    • D

Exactly what I was thinking!

September 9, 2013 at 1:54 am | Reply
    • Tim

Yeah, I wonder why that is? Bet they don't invite him back on.

September 9, 2013 at 9:47 am | Reply
  55. Sphy

You can keep polishing, but the crossfire format is still a turd.

September 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  56. Cliffy B

Gingrich and Van Jones are hosts, REALLY? Yes, because they are widely known to be the voices of sanity and accepting to an array to viewpoints.

I was going to say before I clicked here that maybe CNN learned it's lesson. But holy cow is this show doomed before it starts. Hows that ol' Spitzer's show going?

September 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  57. James

I wander what the CNN people think after basically 99% of the comments here are how much people hated Crossfire and how Jon Stewart basically was the only good thing to happen to it....

Too funny how they have yet to even offer the clip.

I love it... Oh CNN, how far you've fallen.

September 8, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  58. Bill

Crossfire is just a bunch of pundits yelling at an unfortunate guest. It is not an intelligent or thoughtful exchange. I was disgusted with crossfire's abuse of their guests I the past and doubt that the program has changed. I won't be watching the farce.

September 8, 2013 at 9:34 am | Reply
  59. BD70

Always hated crossfire. NO one lets anyone finish a sentence. Its rude...annoying and sets me right on edge.

September 8, 2013 at 9:32 am | Reply
    • Bob

Even if I ever liked it I would never watch a show with Gingrich. It's a modern day miracle he's on anything any more, they must be desperate.

September 8, 2013 at 10:50 am | Reply
  60. ginseng1978

Oh, so Jon Stewart basically destroying the show doesn't qualify? I guess that makes sense. That is probably not one of CNN's "favorite moments," even if it's certainly an all-time favorite moment for the majority of non-CNN humanity.

September 8, 2013 at 9:16 am | Reply
  61. ginseng1978

Hahahaha. I love how you don't include Jon Stewart's "Crossfire Moment." I can certainly understand why that's not considered one of CNN's "favorites."

September 8, 2013 at 9:16 am | Reply
  62. Brent F

Does CNN not remember why the show was cancelled before? Jon Stewart eviscerated Crossfire because of how it dumbed down important issues into "partisan hackery, reducing news coverage of important issues to a series of talking points from both extremes of the political spectrum" (Wikipedia)
    Why can't you just inform us of world events and tell us why they matter?
    Please stop. Just stop

September 8, 2013 at 7:45 am | Reply
  63. Lahree

Not that anyone watches CNN anymore but ... Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart Jon Stewart

September 8, 2013 at 5:10 am | Reply
  64. Ramsey

Two words: Jon Stewart.

Crossfire was AWFUL and died the death it deserved. Jon was right when he said the entire concept was bad for the national discourse. I can't wait for this version to fail as well.

September 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Reply
  65. JB

As previously stated by many, the omission of the John Stewart clip is a travesty. I will no longer watch your network nor this silly show.

September 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Reply
  66. Tucker Carlson

I'm not really Tucker. But get Jon Stewart back on to grade the new crossfire team.

September 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Reply
  67. Nik

So you guys are going to invite Jon Stewart back right? What could possibly go wrong?

September 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  68. art

Novak: " next week on CROSSSS FIREEEEEEE"..........

September 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  69. Jerome

Wow, No Jon Stewert.

How embarrassing CNN. Just proves you learned nothing from his appearance. This show is doomed to fail again if you wont even acknowledge that. Liberal or right wing, you gotta admit, Jon should be on.

CNN is going to lows with this list. Your web-folks better ratify this quick before we all turn on you!

September 7, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  70. ;uddintane

duh yeah John Stewerd is the greatest ever. There, did I recite like I should

September 7, 2013 at 11:00 am | Reply
  71. Jethro

I thought Jon Stewart ended this show.

September 7, 2013 at 10:29 am | Reply
  72. Scott

Watching these clips made me realize why I will NEVER watch Crossfire. It represents everything that's wrong with America and with CNN. The only relevant clip is Jon Stewart's visit to Crossfire. Please have him on as an early guest.

September 7, 2013 at 9:41 am | Reply
  73. Chris

I think Jon Stewart said it best when he pointed out that "Crossfire" was nothing but a"political Punch & Judy show." All "Crossfire" did was present two hard-line ideologues fighting with each other. Then the show claimed that this somehow was a deep, intelligent discourse that was helping to elevate political discourse in the country – when actually it was doing the exact opposite. Why not just have a show where people read off the comments from any internet political message board? It would be pretty much the same thing.

September 7, 2013 at 7:51 am | Reply
  74. Rick

Hey what about the time Jon Stewart came on? Remember that?

September 7, 2013 at 6:13 am | Reply
  75. nomdegary

CNN should be ashamed of this list. Oh wait, they are. That's why they omitted the Stewart appearance.

September 7, 2013 at 2:28 am | Reply
  76. Philip

Pretty disingenuous way to dodge the episode when Jon Stewart turned Tucker Carlson into to a bowl of jiggling partisan ineptitude. Very lame CNN. Someone actually has a legitimate opinion on your show about the state of journalism and debate and you go with the Klansman episode...

September 7, 2013 at 1:09 am | Reply
  77. Bill

A 30-second commercial to watch a 90-second clip promoting a CNN show on their on website? Get real. I was interested before I saw that nonsense.

September 7, 2013 at 12:31 am | Reply
  78. Leah

John Stewart taking down bow-tie guy to the shoe leather! Ha!!

September 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Reply
  79. D'Eon

.... wow ... Way to render the resurrection of Crossfire useless ... Mark my words ... when the Crossfire show needs ratings they'll get John Stewart back..

September 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Reply
  80. Kevin

Clearly, the most memorable moment was when Jon Stewart appeared on the show. Somehow from this list it looks like the marketing department runs the news department. Cable news at its best. At least CNN covers internet videos as serious news items now, where would we be without those pressing stories?

September 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Reply
  81. TDS

You forgot Jon Stewart coming on and completely owning this show and pointing out what an abomination it was.

September 6, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  82. Jeff

The only way I would watch this is if they were broadcasting from the moon base Newt was going to build. The man is repulsive, a liar and a creep. Why CNN is kissing his a– is beyond me. He's done on the national stage the people are sick of him.

September 6, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  83. punk

Only memorable moment was Jon Stewart. That show was a total hack job, should've left it dead like CNN's credibility. Propaganda news network won't report any real news. Have to get my news from alternative news now.

September 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  84. Lyn

Crossfire??? No!!!! Don't we already have enough rude people yelling at each other?

September 6, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  85. Betsie Deane

The only reason I opened this link was to see Jon Stewart eviscerate Tucker Carlson again. That clip should not only have been in here, it should have been #1

September 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Reply
    • Tom

You know he was salivating as soon as it's return was announced; I think he'll be fair and give them a month before unleashing on them. CNN has degraded substantially since the original Crossfire heyday so the bar is much lower.

September 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  86. Jason

Just gonna throw this in so I can make my own little contribution to the hopefully growing pool of comments for purposes of maybe having said pool get noticed....JON STEWART JON STEWART JON STEWART....silly Crossfire

September 6, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  87. Puablo

Seriously no Jon Stewart? The guy who went on the show, destroyed them, and whose appearance convinced the show runners to cancel their show? Shy away from controversy... riiiight. I can't believe this is back.

September 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  88. andrew

.....and no John Stewart. The reason to click the link...

September 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  89. mr.important@important.ca

How about the time NARDWUAR came on?! How can any top ten list be complete without NARDWUAR?

September 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  90. Matt

I only opened this article to see if they'd be honest enough to include Jon Stewart's appearance. Nope.

September 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Reply
    • Fred Evil

Exactly. I'd hoped they would have had the integrity, but alas.

September 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  91. Jeremy

Where is the clip of John Stewart destroying the host?

September 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  92. drefromla

Zappa Rules!
    You should check out the whole clip. It's awesome.
    Also check out Zappa in front of Congress, that's pretty hilarious too.
    Zappa was always the smartest guy in the room.

September 6, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Reply
  93. Chase

Remember that time Jon Stewart was on? That was a good one.

September 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  94. IP Daley

That, and the fact there resurrecting this abomination.

September 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Reply
  95. Jack

I very much miss Frank Zappa. Oh, and also.. you guys forgot the Jon Stewart episode. 😛

September 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  96. IP Daley

What?! No mention of Jon Stewart CNN?

September 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  97. Jeff

Funny how they even pat them selves on the back by saying they don't shy away from controversy... .and then don't include Stewart's epic appearance on the show. You guys haven't changed one bit.

September 6, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Reply
    • JCox in Wayne

Like everyone else, I went down the list to see if they'd have the stones to list the Jon Stewart visit. Of course, they didn't ... but did anyone actually expect it to be posted?

The exact same problems that Stewart pointed out are still there today. It's just another example of how we're given the illusion that there's actually a 'debate' to be had, while those who aren't part of the top economic echelon are pushed further back into insignificance ...

September 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  98. Bobby

Jon Stewart destroying Tucker Carlson

September 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  99. TiredOfPaying

The title of the article is '9 Favorite Crossfire Moments' and the writers are the Staff from Crossfire. I'm quite sure that Jon Stewart's appearance was not a Staff Favorite. 😉

September 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  100. Kate

Invalid list without Jon Stewart.

September 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Reply