Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

May 29th, 2014

Michelle Obama vs. GOP on school lunches

Crossfire hosts Stephanie Cutter and Newt Gingrich debate the government's role in dictating school lunch standards with Margo Wootan and Genevieve Wood.

School Lunch Hysteria?
Gingrich questions Margo Wootan's outrage over the of healthy school lunch standards.

Newest threat ...potatoes?
Newt Gingrich is not happy that potatoes are now considered a threat under the eyes of the government. Margo Wootan debates with Genevieve Wood.

Cutter to Paltrow: please stop talking
Stephanie Cutter is outraged that Gwyneth Paltrow said she knows what it's like to be in war because of nasty online comments.

Gingrich outraged over D.C. swarm of taxes
Newt Gingrich is outraged that D.C. now has a yoga tax to add to the list.

1. Sharon

southerngent

H-mmm your post is quite interesting. The introduction as to my professional medical expertise that I use if news topic relates to medicine is only used to inform people I do have good professional expertise knowledge of the topic. I,m sorry your view my posts as only boasting of my college educated medical professional education. They were not meant to be "boasting" in any way. They were only to let people be aware I was college educated medical professional with years of work experience and have good knowledge of topic being discussed. Actually my posts were only done with sincere intent to help educate people regarding a medical related topic.

June 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Reply
    • southerngent

Sharon
      southerngent
      "H-mmm your post is quite interesting."
      * * Your post was quite uhm, egotistical.

" The introduction as to my professional medical expertise that I use if news topic relates to medicine is only used to inform people I do have good professional expertise knowledge of the topic. I,m sorry your view my posts as only boasting of my college educated medical professional education. They were not meant to be "boasting" in any way. They were only to let people be aware I was college educated medical professional with years of work experience and have good knowledge of topic being discussed. Actually my posts were only done with sincere intent to help educate people regarding amedical related topic."
      * * Your beginning sentence was nothing more than an attempt to demean other people and make yourself APPEAR superior.

"In some ways with your referring back to an old post I made about ObamaCare, it make make it appear like you may possibly be only a paid blogger against school healthy lunch program. Most bloggers are unaware of old past posts. And since I seldom post comments in Crossfire, so I find your recollection of my past ObamaCare post even more interesting and intriguing."

* * If I am to be paid for these post I certainly would like to know. I simply agree with Mr Stiles. I do not find your "college educated medical professional" opinion interesting nor impressive.

"Since you did mention that old past ObamaCare post, I will explain the rationale for that post. (1)First of all I wanted to let bloggers be aware I am a college educated medical professional with many year of work experience so am very familiar medical health care delivery system in US. (2)I also wanted to apprise bloggers I personally did not have any vested interest of any kind if ObamaCare succeeds or fails since I already had earned 100% retirement health care benefits for rest of my life – all done in attempt to convey my posted comments were meant to be unbiased and were sincerely meant to convey unbiased factual medical research info from actual ObamaCare Law online documents, Kaiser Health Policy Research Foundation reports,etc. I had actually done extensive research regarding ObamaCare as it involves medicine and have always attempted to stay abreast of what is new. I never relied heavily on news media reports since I discovered so many misconceptions were being reported regarding the law.(3)I do not like certain statues of ObamaCare, but there are also many statues that are great and beneficial for consumers. (4)Whether ObamaCare succeeds or fails- time will tell. But since it's medicine I love keeping abreast. (5)Once again my post were done in sincere effort to only help educate people, that is all."
      * * Foolish statements, all Americans should care what happens with this nightmare obamacare! It has continuously placed the best health care system in the world in jeopardy since its inception and getting worse. That alone discredits your opinion as a medical professional.

"I am sorry you view my comments so badly. All was done with only sincere effort to help educate people regarding medical related topic. And I always welcome challenges to my comments."
      * * You posted here as though your comments were above approach, however it became obvious that you are putting forward a liberal political agenda. A truly sincere poster presents an opinion with arguments without announcing (how great thou art).

Now back to the article! Forced anything does not work, which is the basics of this argument. If a child is dumping food all sides lose. Provide sensible nutrition with a balance of what they will eat and all sides win, including the medical professionals. "Now the old national nutritional guidelines for schools were from 1995 and were definitely old and outdated.", total bs, just like food studies that constantly are being debunked. Of course a "college educated medical professional" would know that. The point here is to enabled a child's ability to learn. If they are dumping food their learning process is inhibited. Surely you would agree, BTW, how well did your school system serve your needs?

June 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Reply
      • Sharon

southernent

June 2, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
      • Sharon

Now the lunch program was mainly started to make sure lower income needy children had healthy breakfast/lunch during school at least. School lunch programs were started somewhere in the 1930's. And that includes the laws that were passed then, and the ones that followed over the years.

Still some children will never be good candidates for lunch program for varying reasons though. I have a grandson that would not because he is very picky eater. My daughter in law just fixes him and his brother their lunches. My daughter who lives in Colorado, also fixes her two sons lunches and snacks. Their school has no lunch program. She said is same reason why our school district here doesn't have program.

June 2, 2014 at 11:10 pm |
      • Sharon

June 2, 2014 at 11:37 pm |
      • southerngent

Sharon
        southernent

"Thanks for responding. Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions regarding me, my college medical education, the caliber of my medical knowledge, my medical/nutritional advice I was sincerely attempting to convey to people, etc. My posts and comments were still done with good well meaning intent and sincerity. You can also agree with Mr. Stiles. That is your right and your decision to make."

* * You didn't respond to my comments on the article.

"I wish you the best of luck. You may want to consider showing common courtesy and respect to all bloggers though."

* * Bull crap, these forums are used to express opinions and if you wish to interject yours in an in your face manner then don't be surprised at a reply in kind.

June 3, 2014 at 10:11 am |
      • southerngent

Sharon
        " Whoops I forgot to answer last paragraph you mentioned. You had asked how well my school district meet our family's needs. Since our little town didn't have hardly any children that would financially qualify as low income and needy. district did not start school lunch programs. They do serve a lunch for the few that do qualify. All parents fix their children lunch, and they like it that way. Academically school/s are excellent and top ranked in the state. High school is as well. My husband and I were extremely pleased with our public school system here. With our hard work and our kids hard work, they were blessed with good opportunity choices as they graduated from high school. We had no complaints, except for some minor issues, but they typically were livable ones or were issues that could be resolved."

* * I to am from a small town and lunch was served to all school children. I also was born and grew up in poverty and was taught by wonderful and caring parents to accept the blessings received and carried those blessings into adulthood, Having grown up in the cotton fields of the south before modern pickers I fully understand the definition of hard work. This blessing of parenting I transfered to my children and have reaped the rewards. Two of my children are now teachers with master degrees and without student loans. Both are married to teachers. So, as far as school nutrition is concerned, I am not in the dark as to what is happening in the school system.

"As far as choices, there are always choices. But no school lunch program has ever been perfect. Never was, even when I went to school in Nebraska many years ago, and don't feel it will ever be. I just always brought my own lunch if the post weekly lunch menu for a particular was not what I would eat.

Parents who can pay for lunches can also pay a fee to have their child eat school lunches if they chose to. Now parents can work with their schools to try to make lunch programs more successful, and hopefully offer more health food choices that children would like. Parents who have concerns can work with group of other parents, PTA, etc to help address and suggest some good healthy alternatives with school administrators and school board. If done constructively showing good knowledge of nutrition guidelines and suggestions parents may be pleasantly surprised."

* * You were lucky to take your lunch but we are discussing children not so lucky. Many school systems are providing two and some proposed three meals a day. That having been said, as you mentioned, when you were not happy with the menu you had an option. Many don't!

"As far as all the changes back and forth, or up and down, you mentioned. Those advancement have been occurring for years, and they are result of approved scientific studies results. That is just medicine/nutrition and the advancements in research that are made as years go by. And some things can make a comeback later on too. Etc."

* * As I said!

"Still some children will never be good candidates for lunch program for varying reasons though. I have a grandson that would not because he is very picky eater. My daughter in law just fixes him and his brother their lunches."

* * There again, your grandson is lucky that his lunch is provided. Ask yourself, how do you think the child setting with him feels watching him enjoy his lunch but their parents ( can't/won't ) prepare lunch for them. That whole paragraph sounds hypocritical to me in relation to your original post!

" My daughter who lives in Colorado, also fixes her two sons lunches and snacks. Their school has no lunch program. She said is same reason why our school district here doesn't have program."

* * Not relevant to this article.

Sharon
        "Wow, was back reading your post. Saw you somehow made nutrition and ObamaCare topics partisan political issues. You also stated I am a Democrat and liberal. How wrong you are, I originally was raised in big red state of Nebraska. I am actually registered Republican. Whatever, nutrition and medicine really shouldn't be political at all."

* * Wow, You seem to have a reading problem. I did not mention a party. I proposed a liberal agenda for both! I suspect in this article you were not defending school lunches but Michelle. Also, I suspect you were not defending obamacare, but Obama. BTW,( 74% ) of America disagree with you on obamacare including { prominent } "college educated medical professionals". If you support Obama and this administration then say so, don't hide behind the "cemp".

June 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm |
  2. Heidi

According to my children "school lunch is disgusting!" I started packing their lunch in the middle of the 2012-2013 school year and all this year, they don't come home starving or eat a full meal after school anymore. Lunch from my home consist of an organic fruit and, or vegetable, organic dairy product, a snack and a sandwich or salad, things of that sort. Healthy food is supposed to taste good not gross! Fried food is not healthy yet they serve fried corn nuggets and fried okra, greasy pre-made frozen pizzas and hamburgers or chicken that have all these growth hormones, steroids and antibiotics in them, hot dogs, chicken nuggets or patties, sausage etc...that are made up of all the left over pieces of animals like chicken beaks, feet, tendons, eyeballs, i'm sure there's real meat in there somewhere, spaghetti sauce that looks like water...really? Spices have a lot of beneficial minerals, vitamins and antioxidants...If they want the kids to eat healthy and be healthy then serve good quality or organic fresh meals instead of mushed up animal parts that have been flash frozen, defrosted, refrozen, cooked and then served on plates colder than room temperature.

June 2, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  3. jim

Why would we debate about our children eating healthy? It is because outside venders want to peace of the pie . Money that is what it all comes down to, and if your hearing that Michelle Obama should care about our children being over weight you must be a bad parent. New sounds like he doesn't know anything do to the fact potatoes breaks down into sugars in your body. yes even my doctor said not to eat potatoes.

June 2, 2014 at 11:34 am | Reply
    • Mr Stiles

Mister, all carbs break down to simple sugars. That's how your cells metabolize them. Any plant based material is a carbohydrate. A bias against potatoes but not other root vegetables makes no sense. Carrots, beets, sweet potatoes all have more sugars than plain potatoes yet your Doctor only told you to quit eating potatoes? Might want to ask him a few follow up questions.

June 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  4. Sharon

As a college educated medical professional who has had extensive additional courses in nutrition to become a nationally certified Diabetes Care Manager, I really think many bloggers to this particular topic do need to become more educated on why the school lunch program was established. Programs that presently exist in some schools but not all, are mainly to provide good nutritional lunch, breakfasts, etc for qualified lower family income needy children. Certain other children do automatically qualify, but you would have to go to department of agriculture to review all the specifics. If a family is attempting to obtain free lunches for their child qualifying applications must be filled out and then are approved or denied. This program was started way back in 1930's I think. Just know it is quite old. Nutrition standards have always existed, and then been updated as the years have gone by. Updating nutrition standards is result of advancements and newer findings following approved scientific nutrition research studies result findings. That is excellent, and works much same way as newer advancements in medicine come to be seen.

Parents who can pay for lunches for their children can also order lunches for a fee each school has set up. If the paying child does not like the lunches served and won't eat the lunch, then parent fixing lunch may be best option. That was always the option out when I went to school many years ago. On the days I didn't like the lunch menu served I just brought my own lunch. Or a great option, parent can work with school as a group with other parents, PTA, etc to help school develop a more successful lunch, etc program. But a word of forewarning, if criticism is not justified, isn't filled with good possible solutions & recommendations, etc. following good approved scientifically found good nutritional guidelines – of course this activism will go nowhere. Complaining to just complain usually is nonproductive and fruitless.

Now the old national nutritional guidelines for schools were from 1995 and were definitely old and outdated. With all the advancements and results of approved research studies results since 1995, of course guidelines were in desperate need of being updated. And that is good. Updating nutrition standards has always been done periodically. This is not anything new.

The school lunch program mainly exists to make sure needy/certain other qualified children have healthy meals at least during school time. And these nutrition standards have always in past been well supported.

Our schools here do not have overall schools lunch programs, as huge majority(99%) of families do not qualify per their income level. Only a few breakfast, lunches are provided for the income needy, other qualifying children. Almost all parents make their own children's lunches. Our small towns public schools are top ranked, so quality of education for our children is excellent. Parents are very happy, and school/child parental support is excellent.

Fact is schools have always had nutritional guidelines to follow. And that is excellent. Any complaints about the lunches served for the children need to be addressed with each schools. See if parents may help make programs more successful.

Government isn't attempting to tell parents what to feed their children at all. I am not sure why this has become a faulty a pushed complaint. Fact is all that happened is nutritional guidelines were updated. Programs aare now new, so some changes may need to be done in certain schools participating. But that has always happened in past too when guidelines updated. Now I mentioned some possible solution solving options for making each schools lunch more successful above. And people must realize lunch programs are not for all children for varying reasons. That has existed since the programs were started back in 1930's.

These programs have always tried to provide healthy meals the the income needy/other qualified children for which the lunch programs were started for. Everyone should be supportive of providing good healthy breakfast/lunches for these children. These free or subsidized healthy lunches are excellent. Parents who can pay for lunches, if their school does have a program, still have their options as well.

June 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Reply
    • Mr Stiles

Sharon
      It is not the case here in my town. The majority of kids here are not only eligible for the program, they depend on it so much that they extend it through summer for them. The BOE has decided that all kids will eat for free so there is no stigma attached to the program. The program has a twofold purpose: Alleviate hunger and improve the nutrition standards. Is there not a middle ground Sharon? If kids leave the cafeteria hungry has the program met its designed intent? Can we not balance nutrition with taste? Why must a child eat raw broccoli with low fat ranch dressing vs steamed with cheese? Why must a child have cucumber slices with their cheeseburger instead of a pickle? Both vegetables are the same, only their preparation differs. Why remove chocolate milk from menus, railing against chocolate if that makes kids drink their milk? Oh but Mr. Stiles, today's kids are obese....they don't need these extra calories. That is not a stated goal of this program. You want to thin up obese kids then work on improving the Physical Education department of the schools. Find ways to encourage kids to exercise more. We did daily calisthenics in PE when I was young. Push ups, sit ups, running laps on the track. None of that has any bearing on the school lunch program. You state in your comments that the guidelines from 1995 were old and outdated. Did they invent a new food group? Are we supposed to be eating some new GMO of which I am not aware? Seems like we eat the same foods my grandparents ate. I am not advocating a return to the ketchup is a vegetable era. I do think that no child should leave the cafeteria hungry while at the same time tossing good food in the trash bin. Don't you agree Sharon?

June 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Reply
      • Sharon

Mr Stiles

You are very active posting comments regarding this topic. That is great. I appreciate your concerns, but as I said multiple times to you those concerns need to be addressed with your school, school district boards, etc. Also work getting a groups of parents that will help pursue this, also work through PTA, etc.

I can't believe your school district is paying out so much money for a providing free lunch programs for every child at school. 99% of students in your school district must come be very low income families. If that is true, I personally have never heard of a school district where almost all of the students come from free lunch qualifying low income families.

You must be quite thankful government or your school district is paying for your child to have free lunch, possibly even breakfast at school That is wonderful. I do suggest you stop complaining so much about a program you receive free. . Instead of only complaining about these lunches actually do something constructive. As I told you multiple times work with your school to help make program more successful. Gee – it's free. But be aware, as you said your child is a picky eater. And your child may not be one who will ever be satisfied with a standard school lunch program. I also told you to check with your school to see if they could prepare her a separate lunch.

Finding solutions to resolve your specific issues is always best approach. Just only complaining to us doesn't help you or your child. We don't prepare your child's schools lunches. Need to talk to school. Gosh it's free. Enjoy this free gift, and make it work by actually doing something & working to hopefully resolve it with school, or fix lunch for your daughter yourself. I was active in PTA, on school improvement program, attended most school board meetings, volunteered as much as I could, etc. My Dad was on school board for 25-30 years. What I suggested as solution solving options are good tools. I completely understand how public schools function and dealing with the politics in schools. I had a good teacher, my Dad.

June 1, 2014 at 9:25 pm |
      • Sharon

I forgot to address what position you commented on. School healthy food programs is serving healthy food. Program has nothing to do with weight reduction for school children. Dealing with a child that is overweight is something that is between the parents and the child's MD. Schools would never get involved in any weight reduction, unless an MD and nutritionist note & instruction are provided to school., and worked must be out in detail.

I mentioned the big increase in Diabetes among children as unhealthy junk food eating are one of main causes. And of course there are other contributing causes as well. That was only used as an introduction, and apologize if my comments were not worded appropriately & thus were misinterpreted. Medical profession has been promoting good balanced healthy eating for years. Go visit some of the national medical, nutrition, etc. sites. They have good info and some good links for more in depth research. I mentioned that to you in past, and I still recommend visiting those sites.

I would suggest your talk with your doctor so you could get a referral to attend some good nutrition education classes. They are quite good and most people, even though they think they know a lot, learn even more. If you decide not to, that is your choice and your decision to make. Just trying to be helpful. If you are going to effectively work to resolve with your school, you need to be well educated on nutrition to be able to intellectually discuss presenting your arguments and positions, or you may very well fail.

Good luck!

June 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm |
      • southerngent

Mr. stiles, Sharon likes to begin her post with a boast statement of being a "college educated medical professional" as though her comments are to go uncontested. Thanks for your logical and informative rebuttals.

From this thread!

"Sharon
        As a college educated medical professional who has had extensive additional courses in nutrition to become a nationally certified Diabetes Care Manager, Ireally think many bloggers to this particular topic do need to become more educated on why the school lunch program was established."

From the crossfire article: Reloaded: How we'll know if Obamacare is a success!

"Sharon
        I am a college educated medical professional who personally has no vested interest in whether ACA succeeds or fails. I already have earned 100% retirement medical health care coverage through my large health care provider."

June 1, 2014 at 10:25 pm |
      • Mr Stiles

Sharon
        Thankful the government is providing free lunch? Its not free lunch because there is no such thing as a free lunch. They use taxes to pay for the expanded lunch program, taxes that I pay. The Federal student lunch program uses taxes that I pay. None of this is free. I don't need to take a class about nutrition and I am discussing this rationally. I would be more than willing to compare HDL levels or a BMI with you anytime. I eat beets that I dont like for the lycopene. I understand nutrition perfectly well. You however are missing the point. It is physically impossible to improve someones nutrition by offering them foods they will not eat. Can you refute that statement Sharon? Can someone gain the nutritive benefits of Broccoli thru osmosis? If you want them to have the benefits of better food then it must be presented in an appetizing manner or it will fail. Period. And I don't need a PhD in Microbiology to understand that fact.

June 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm |
      • Mr Stiles

Sharon
        I am guessing after waiting 2 days for you to reply that this line no longer interests you. That is too bad because I thought you may eventually come to the correct way of thinking about the school lunch program. I hope your grandson continues to broaden his food choices and is able to take advantage of the wealth of information available to him through his extended family. I am still dismayed at the idea of the hungry children this program is intended to help throwing food they are being forced to take into the trash. I am sorry that picture doesn't dismay more people. Good luck

June 4, 2014 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Maria Rivera-Carvalho

Republicans never changed their values. Remember Reagan and the argument that ketchup was a vegetable? They resent every little penny that goes to benefit the many because they must defend the millions to keep their corporate welfare recipients happy.

June 1, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Reply
    • Mr Stiles

No one is advocating a return to ketchup is a vegetable. However why say a kid has to have raw broccoli with low fat dressing vs steamed with cheese? Why cant they choose? Its still broccoli isn't it? The purpose of the school lunch program is to alleviate hunger and improve nutrition. Reducing obesity isn't in its mission statement. You want kids to eat broccoli then give them a choice. They aren't all obese, nor are they middle aged. Id rather you served them healthy versions of foods they like (ie pizza) and hand each kid a gummy vitamin then make them take a serving of creamed spinach and brown rice that they are going to throw in the trash? Don't you think kids should leave the cafeteria full Maria?

June 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  6. Gunderson

Um, Sorry,
    It isn't Michelle versus the GOP it is Michelle versus all those kids having a mind of their own versus making them into Nanny State Puppets.

June 1, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  7. Rooster64

When Her children are eating public school lunches..I will entertain her opinion.

June 1, 2014 at 6:30 am | Reply
  8. TC

Re: Crossfire school lunch nutritional debate

As I watched the crossfire debate on school lunches and nutrition and listened to the conservatives complain that the nutrional standards that the government would like to impose on school lunches is a "big government intrusion," I couldn`t help but be shocked by the foolishness of these arguements.

To explain what I mean, I`d like to describe a recent business trip to China. In China many organizations that may be connected to the government and also some private businesses do not have bathroom stalls that are furnished with toilet paper. People are "free" to wipe themselves in any way that they would like to after a bowel movement. The government in China could set standards for businesses and public bathrooms, mandating that they be furnished with toilet paper for people to use after a bowel movement; but in the conservative arguement, this would cost more money and be an intrusion into people`s freedom to wipe themselves after a bowel movement with with whatever they deem appropriate. However, would an intelligent person really argue that a bathroom stall furnished with toilet paper is a costly government intrusion that takes away the right of people to wipe themselves with whatever they deem appropriate? Perhaps, their own hands?

In a similar way, the goverment setting certain standards for nutrition in schools may be more expensive and take away people`s [freedom] to eat "butter and potato chips" or "less nutritional meals" as they would like, but would an intelligent person really argue that it is better in any way for people to eat "butter and potato chips" or "less nutrional meals" than it is to eat more expensive meals that are high in nutrion? We could be like cavemen and have the [freedom] to eat grass, leaves, and wipe our bottom`s with whatever would like. But Thank god! The government can and should try to raise the quality of life for its people. Without that government intrusion on [freedom], people in China will not have toilet paper to wipe themselves after a bowel movement, and people in America will get fatter and fatter and fatter, dining on butter and potato chips.

June 1, 2014 at 2:20 am | Reply
    • Mr Stiles

So I guess if you run into a stall in China you are also free to bring your own toilet paper with you right? If you want to send your kids to school with a lunch they will eat that doesn't meet an arbitrary nutrition standard will that be allowed? Think that's an impossibility? http://blogs.krqe.com/2012/02/16/school-takes-childs-sack-lunch-saying-it-was-unhealthy/. Also, as I previously commented, reducing obesity isn't a stated goal of the school lunch program. Improving nutrition and alleviating hunger are. Both may have, as a secondary effect, a result that may reduce obesity but that's more a factor of a sedentary lifestyle. Kids shouldn't leave the cafeteria hungry while at the same time throwing "healthy" options in the trash. Don't you agree TC?

June 1, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  9. Blake

Here's the cold hard truth:
    the Gov
    – Parents aren't making the right decisions.
    – Health issues related to obesity are causing major problems for healthcare, education, the workplace and even national security (US Gov has said as much). So its very much Gov's problem.

You can't have a functioning nation when most of its population are at risk of heart attacks or having major diabetic problems daily. If parents aren't going to teach there kids how to eat or change their cultural eating habits, then shouldn't at least school be a place where they can get some access to healthy nutrition? I know from experience that healthy food does seem tasteless when your used to eating super fatty/salty foods. You're essentially addicted to the taste (thus the need to cover everything in salt that doesn't screen "hmmm juicy grease"). The fact is the taste is there, but your tongue/brain has to get used to it. Now I can't eat really super greasy foods because the taste is too "heavy" with crap that overwhelms by taste buds instead.

Also there was once a time when you put food in front of a kid "THEY HAD TO EAT IT." That's part of the issue as well. However compared to 50 years ago teachers/schools have no power over kids and parent's don't either. Instead they feed them what they want: candy/pizza breakfast, MacDonald's lunch and Burger King dinner (which is usually way more expensive then buying fresh produce intelligently, but takes 20-30min to cook instead of 5min). There are places in the USA where there isn't ANY healthy food called Food Deserts. This needs to change and everyone but the government is doing the opposite.

May 31, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Reply
    • Mr Stiles

I remember vividly my father spooning green beans onto my plate and saying that I couldn't leave the table until I cleaned my plate. I'd sit for hours with nothing left in front of me but cold green beans. Kitchen cleaned up, dishes washed. one kid sitting at a table waiting. I learned that I could dry them off on my napkin, cut them into manageable pieces and wash them down whole like Tylenol. Then he decided I needed to chew them 30 times to make sure they would be properly digested so I threw them up. I still don't eat green beans because they smell like feet. Care to compare BMI and HDLs with me? I doubt you do. The government isn't the answer to every question. My health is my business and my personal Physicians- no one else gets a vote and I get 2. I pay for my Insurance and my healthcare costs . I am not on any Government dole and neither is my child. If they think shes going to eat a salad because they want her to and they won't offer her any other alternative so that she will be forced to eat it or go hungry they are sadly mistaken. Freedom and Liberty means we are free to make our own choices and free to deal with the results. Forgive me if I point out that this country came out successful in 2 World Wars sending soldiers beans and smokes as staples among their provisions. You really think the Government is who should be making healthcare/nutrition decisions for you? Really?

May 31, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  10. philthese

Michelle needs to shut her pie hole. She was not elected president so who cares what she has to say about policy.

May 31, 2014 at 6:51 am | Reply
  11. jerry

obama vs the GOP? How about obama vs most of the country. She certainly couldn't take up education as Mrs Bush, or the drug problems as Mrs Regan…it's tell Americans how to feed their kids. Give me a break. This south side Chicago woman livers in her head.

May 30, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  12. candy

I think that Ms. Obama should focus her "healthy eating" in another venue–perhaps making sure that all people have access to healthy foods–such as the people who live in areas that don't have access to any other stores but a convenience store to shop at. Our educational system is bad enough and wasteful enough and to add to the mix additional waste of food being thrown away is ridiculous. If all of the "healthy" food is prepared, and the kids don't eat it the food cannot be donated to a shelter, it must be tossed. Ms Obama has grand ideas on how to spend other peoples money

May 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  13. dave

Hey CNN – Did Michelle really sign this bill into law?

Why should the WH have more say about your local childrens' school lunches than those local parents who's children are in school. Lunches menu when I went to school was determined by the School Board, where ALL were LOCALLY ELECTED members working on the behalf of the local families and school age kids.

May 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Reply
    • jerry

leftists want to control everything in our lives…that is just the way it is, and the proof is here, before your eyes.

May 30, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  14. Beth

GOP has nothing to do with it. Kids just won't eat that slop.

May 30, 2014 at 11:52 am | Reply
    • dave

Truth be told.

May 30, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Reply
  15. kkummen

Americans is the FATTEST country on earth at 30% OBESITY RATE –Canada is at 14% –asians at 4-5% as we all know fat people have more health problems so they are also the unhealthiest......

May 30, 2014 at 8:30 am | Reply
    • Mr. Stiles

So an overweight person is less healthy than a 2 pack a day person or a 3 drink a day person? Is an overweight person less healthy than an IV drug user? How about less healthy than people who have unprotected sex or drive too fast without wearing a seatbelt? You are making generalizations based on appearance. Plenty of folks you may consider "overweight" will live to be 90 and lots of "healthy" folks will drop dead of an infarction in their 40s.

May 30, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Reply
      • Sharon

Mr Stiles

Sorry, your blog posts are mostly medically incorrect. Please do go visit the American Medical Association, American Pediatric Association, etc websites. Medical information is quite educational. Obesity is many times the major cause of diagnosed medical conditions. That is why medical profession has long promoted people to maintain a good weight.

And none of this should be a political topic at all.

May 31, 2014 at 3:34 pm |
      • Mr Stiles

Sharon
        Who mentioned politics? Not I. So anyway I did consult my child's pediatrician, and I do think there is more than enough room for compromise on school lunches. My child isn't overweight, in fact she is underweight. Most of the kids in her class are not overweight. That being said they still don't eat many of the foods they are made to take in order to get their lunch served to them. So tell me how does forcing kids to take food they wont eat solve either the obesity problem, poor nutrition among school age children or curb hunger in the low income children this program is supposed to serve? The road to hell is paved with good intentions Susan. Whole whet pasta may be better for them but most kids take one bite and toss the rest because whole wheat pasta tastes terrible. And forgive me if I don't jump on this most recent invocation of the medical community as I have seen many changes to what is considered "healthy" eating over my decades on this Earth. My real concern is that no child leave the cafeteria hungry. It can be manna from heaven, guaranteed to make you beautiful and live to be 120 but if they wont eat it what good does it do them?

May 31, 2014 at 6:53 pm |
      • Mr Stiles

And I don't really know what blogging is, I am just adding my 2 cents. So if this is what blogging is do you think there is any money in it? I could really use the extra income because I have to pack my kids lunch 4 days out of 5 instead of her eating free at school. ;^)

May 31, 2014 at 7:10 pm |
    • candy

Granted–but why are our kids obese today as compared when we grew up? Its because the kids are not outside playing, they are inside playing video games. Plus I think that you also have to look at the cultures of people and their diets in general.

May 30, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  16. kurt

The problem with some of the guest on this show is that they'll say two opposite things.

The conservative in the first clip says.

1. People are dropping out because they don't like the food.
    then
    2. Schools can't afford this.

The non-conservative says:
    1. People have been dropping out for years (which is a problem)
    and
    2. Schools are saving money.

The second set of statements is much more logically sound. Barring facts (which neither provide), in general even if unit costs increase to some degree, when you have a decrease in lunches provided the costs decrease.

The actual increases observed in the prices for non-NSLP students (which is our only real measure we have) have gone up about 20% over the last 3-4 years. General food price increases using the us food price inflation forecast are around 12-15% over a 3 year span.

So... yeah... food's more expensive then it was. And healthier food might add an additional 5% in food cost. It probably saves more then 5% in health costs over the long term... but that's tough to measure.

To me the only real question is the loss of signups among those who are eligible. But I don't think giving them unhealthy food is the answer. I thing finding ways to attract them toward healthier options is.

May 30, 2014 at 8:29 am | Reply
  17. Minnie Mouse

The amount of time given to our children for a lunch period isn't enough time to teach children how to eat healthy foods. Kids will sit, pick and pick at the foods while ending up eating only one or two bites. If you put foods in front of them they normally don't eat or just don't want to eat, they are not going to eat it. The parents should be the ones making the choices of what to feed our children at home to provide healthy foods, and taking the time to introduce new foods slowly to get them to eat it. The program isn't working because the kids are going hungry, food is going in the trash and parents are having to send lunches that normally were not sending them. It's also money down the drain!

May 30, 2014 at 6:47 am | Reply
  18. Smitty

Just like her husband, another failure, think of the money this admin has wasted on stupidity.

May 29, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  19. Miguel Serda

how can someone with any dignity and self worth show his or her face in public like newt Gingrich after he was shamed out of office and his congressional seat by his own party, is one for the books. Oh! and then being a draft dodging coward to boot! Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 01:32:25 +0000 To: mrserda@hotmail.com

May 29, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Reply
    • Mr. Stiles

Anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion at hand Mike? You don't like Republicans, Conservatives or Newt Gingrich but what are your opinions on the school lunch program? Partisan sniping is fun and all, but its not what the thread is set up to discuss. Have a solution? A suggestion? Pipe up Mike. Otherwise save it for an appropriate venue.

May 30, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  20. DownSideofFame

ABOUT. US
    DownSideofFame, Adamsfamily negotiations
    Founded In , 1990. Michael Adams
    is one of the, Best in the business of Elite, Deal Making
    honest," "interactive," and "cordial " strong tradition of community and civic service. s , As billionaires have Been our clients, From BP Petroleum... Also OPEC of Saudi Arabia, our free Gas giveaway s to the general public's Free Tanks of Gas, Covered By National News Live on T.V. To Major-league baseball.... Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa's homerun record breaking Event where the world famous baseball Cap { The good Luck charm } Aired Us ,our business again Covered by Nation News Crews Live Satellite coverage...given away free to the general Publics of The United States ....To the N.B.A. World champion Lakers ... ours campaigns & events, cover the problems of the NBA races fights where players were acting like little kids.... We were invited to the health center of the NBA Lakers got our two pennies work with the coaches owners and teams and would you know it.the only man and woman n.b.a. titles wontime where the both men and women of the world champions... We were at the party at the Hard Rock Cafe Universal Studios and got balls signed ....also
    Super Elite Wal- marts. 5 million Dollar challenge environmental cleanup hazardous waste ,of old junk battery...stored in average Home garage... And toxics , Where a five dollar Walmart cash card was to be used for cigarettes merchandise covered by television... So you see some of our clients are big names in the business we know how to professionally keep a secret . Treat our clients with professionalism ... It's in our name downsideofFame,with fame comes problems,and we assist in....and get the deal done...On call 24/7 and travel the World.When world wide News hits ( contracts24@yahoo.com )
    Our staffs mindset allows us to deliver our services in an efficient, cost effective manner. They eat at the local McDonald's on the dollar menu

May 29, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Reply