Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

May 13th, 2014

Regulating racism in college?

Van Jones explains why he thinks the Supreme Court's decision to uphold Michigan's ban on affirmative action is harmful.

Posted by
Filed under: Affirmative Action • Reloaded • Van Jones
  1. liberal_garbage

Liberal Garbage. Colleges should only accept by academic standards. It's funny how liberals call racism when rulings go towards that direction. Nothing more than more liberal garbage.

May 14, 2014 at 9:34 am | Reply
  2. MajorityRules

Big majorities? Congress is a majority too! The supreme court is a majority appointed by a Majoritarian congress! What the hell is this guy talking about? Sotomayor was struck down by 5 out of 9 judges! Maybe Charles Windsor should decide affirmative action policy is Michigan!

May 14, 2014 at 8:08 am | Reply
  3. Renée

The legal precedents for how colleges and other forms of higher education to push for racial diversity and diversity as a whole

May 13, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  4. pjoe

Keep it simple. Treat everyone the same. Quit asking race-based questions. If asked, just say you are from the human race.

May 13, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • Mike

That would be ideal, yes. Unfortunately, people consider that to be a racist point of view.

May 13, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  5. cmml

The Michigan law was pretty straight forward. It basically says – The University system in Michigan can not use race to determine admission. Isn't that pretty much what the 14th Amendment says too?

I'm amazed that Van Jones and his liberal cronies support racism – especially as a means to fight racism. Seems hypocritical

May 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Reply
    • AnotherAnnie

Maybe Van Jones thinks the majority of Blacks are not smart enough to get into college without Affirmative Action. I mean, he must believe that because he has a fear of banning all racial data and letting colleges admit students on the strength of their academic prowess, overall leadership experience, volunteerism, test scores, etc. for me, I think all people can learn if they want to and are willing to put forth enough effort. I think the achievement gap between Backs and Whites has more to do with overall cultural values and individual effort rather than race, but I'm sure Van Jones would label me a racist for voicing my opinion. Where I do agree with him is that as a country, I think we are doing a miserable job tapping I to the potential of racial minority students. I certainly think our nation can do more to encourage and support this group – to nurture them to greater success (which I'm defining as increased higher education, decreased incarceration, increased employment opportunities, and increased marriage rates too), but I think expecting these minority groups to achieve success by skewing college admissions in favor of racial preferences is misguided. Besides, lowering the standards for some groups, in my opinion, makes members of those groups feel less confident about their true abilities. Who wants to think that they only reason they got admitted to college is because of the color of their skin? Wouldn't it be a greater boost to self confidence to know you achieved it based on the content of your character, the merit of your ability, and the strength of your personal resolve? Well, that's how I think. That's why Van Jones, and people who think like him make little sense to me.

May 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  6. Liberal Garbage

Liberal Garbage.

May 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • Bubba

You are doing a great job keeping Liberal Garbage at bay, utilizing your Conservative Hate.

May 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  7. Marty

How about this. If you qualify to get into college and can afford to pay for college then go to college! If not then find a job that doesn't require a college degree.

May 13, 2014 at 11:36 am | Reply
    • Renée

Most decent paying jobs require a college degree
      The cost of a college degree is so high that most students are on some form of gov. assistance i.e. student loans/grants or scholarships
      Also, no one takes into account that the reason why some students are even in college is not that their highly qualified just that their parent(s)/grandparent(s)/great-grandparent(s) are alum and give the school money

Funny how people want to shrink government and decrease government assistance programs but when Americans ask for equal access to education and equal opportunity to pursue higher education those very same small government/low aid people want to keep higher education for a select few

I believe in educational opportunities for all and affordable education at that

May 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  8. CALIFORNIA

I'm against any form of racism and/or thought police.

May 13, 2014 at 11:20 am | Reply
    • Liar

Liar.

May 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Reply
      • CALIFORNIA

You're a typical liberal. Everyone lies except you.

May 13, 2014 at 4:02 pm |
      • CALIFORNIA

You're a typical liberal. Everyone lies except you, right?

May 13, 2014 at 4:03 pm |