Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

January 22nd, 2014

Abortion exception for rape?

Crossfire host Newt Gingrich and guest host Sally Kohn debate abortion rights, including if the woman has been raped, with Lila Rose and Ilyse Hogue.

Any room for compromise on abortion?
Lila Rose and Ilyse Hogue debate the use of contraceptives as an option to abortion.

NARAL President: abortion restrictions up to the states
NARAL's Ilyse Hogue says abortion restrictions are up to the states but should be imposed by doctors working on each case.

Posted by
Filed under: Abortion • Debates • Ilyse Hogue • Lila Rose • Newt Gingrich • Sally Kohn • The Final Question
  1. Mia

Seriously people. Lets face it there are no exceptions. Its a life. My son had a life then just as much as he had one now. Wake the hell up. I was raped. And I got pregnant. It happens. It's funny because all I heard was abort abort! I AM SO GLAD I NEVER LISTENED to the doctors, to my friends. Thank you to the people who treated this growing person inside me as another human being, as he was, as he is today! He is loved. I am loved by him. I never think about that time, I don't see his "biological fathers" face in him, and I could care less. Thats what healing is. I'm over what happened. And I am STRONGER because of it, I have the most AMAZING son. Don't dare threaten those children out there like him with your exceptions. We women are stronger than you think. I used to barely get through school, my son gave me something to work for, now I'm a medical student in my fourth year, married to a man who will soon be adopting my son. And no one cares how he got here, it matters that he did and that he's loved by a whole lot of people. So to all you people who want to tell people its ok to have an abortion in rape, may be just for a change, give them a little support, a little encouragement, tell them this can be a good thing...a really really good thing.

February 12, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  2. D.J.

Listening to comments from people who have NEVER been in this position, have they ever talked to someone this has happened to? Likely not! Because women in this position do NOT always share this information, Women have been having abortions from rape from time immemorial .... as one who has been there, you have no idea what I went through physically, emotionally, I have a friend to decided to keep a baby conceived in rape who now looks at her daughters attacker's face every time she looks at this child, I have another friend who chose to have an abortion as the man was dangerous, and stalking her.

So for all of those who think, well just have it and give it up,..... its not that simple, about 25% of all adoptions FAIL! We never talk about that.... who are you, in this land of the free to tell me with my health conditions, and others that I must carry that pregnancy to term? I nearly died having a child the year before. This is a privacy issue,.... between me and my conscience, my god, my decision.

Support rape prevention programs, address mental health needs, lobby for more research into safer and effective contraception, continue the new insurance requirement that contraception is covered by insurance and medicaid ( in many states it isn't) promote the morning after pill BEFORE the egg can get fertilized and implanted,

but don't tell a victim that she has to be re-victimized for a lifetime!

January 29, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  3. Anonymous

I think that Lila was hitting it home when she said it's not an issue of the woman's body, it's an issue of where do the woman's rights over throw someone else's? It's a biological fact that the baby is separate from it's mother. We wouldn't kill toddlers, while they're still developing and reliant upon their parents, would we? The same principle applies. Why is murder wrong? Because it is allowing one person to kill another. It's one person infringing upon someone else's pursuit of happiness. Abortion kills someone, whether we want to believe it or not. I'm almost surprised that more people don't understand this.

January 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  4. PennyDreadful

So true, ProtectAmericanJobs!!

January 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Reply
    • ProtectAmericanJobs

Thanks – We'd really all be better off by just cutting through the BS and all the my team vs your team name calling nonsense and really focus on America and improving the future of the American people.

It shouldn't be all about Democrats or Republicans/Tea-whatevers! It should be about Americans, especially our elected officials, doing the right thing for our country and its citizens. All the single-minded, left versus right, ideological one dimensional bull has got to go!

Once they're elected, our leaders should be working together for the good of the our country and our citizens by using combinations of the best ideas from both sides versus just trying to make the other side look bad so they lose the next election. – How's that been working?

Both sides are still trying to get us to drink their brand of Kool-Aid, but it's just different flavors of the same thing and in the long run both brands are making us sick.

The American People need our leaders to start remembering that they are elected by the Citizens of the United States of America to represent the interests of those citizens and the country itself and that They are NOT elected by or to represent the Global Market Place, Lobbyist or Foreign citizens!

Over the last 25-years, our government has allowed our country's industries to get sucked out to China, India, Mexico, etc and allowed illegal aliens and H-1B foreigners to come into our country and take away tax-paying Americans jobs and drive down prices and wages.

The lack of businesses and good jobs in the USA is what's really going to rob us, our children, grand children and great grand children of the potential of a prosperous or even decent future.

The ONLY REAL FIX for our great country is to RAISE REVENUE, by Bringing Back Businesses and Jobs to TAX-PAYING AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Wouldn't the American people be better off, if Our Elected Leaders Started Working Together as AMERICANS for AMERICANS and AMERICA, instead of just bickering, stalling and posturing for the next election as democrats and republicans! The American People have had it with this unproductive BS! The way that both parties having been operating for years just stinks! Neither party has really been looking out for the best interests of the US Citizens who elect them and who they're supposed to represent.

January 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Reply
  5. WABoisso

I'm pro-choice, but sometimes I think us liberals are a tad too hard on pro-lifers like Lila. I think it's clear that the vast majority of those opposed to abortion have good (if arguably misguided) intentions and are not trying to restrict the rights of women, but simply the rights of the unborn child. They aren't necessarily sexist, they just have a controversial view on when a fetus becomes a person.

January 24, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  6. Kurt

There shouldn't need to be any exceptions.

I firmly believe that a woman has the right to determine who or what stays in her body at any point. At no point should a person be forced to provide their body as an incubator for something they don't want... even if you believe that the embryo is a person with rights. They don't have the right to occupy another person's uterus.

If the fetus has developed to a point it can survive on its own... then I would be okay with having a c-section performed or a regular delivery and putting it up for adoption. But if it can't, I still don't believe a woman should be FORCED to incubate the fetus for any additional time should she not want to.

And that's what all this comes down to. Legally FORCING women who've become pregnant into carrying that child to term. How much law are you willing to put behind that enslavement of women? Will she not be able to drink while pregnant (keep in mind she doesn't want to keep the child)? How about ride roller coasters? Can she punch herself in the stomach? Ingest poisons in hopes of miscarrying?

Are you going to keep women locked up while they're pregnant in order to insure their embryo is safely carried to term? Or will you finally admit that they have the right to do what they like with their own body... and that includes evicting a resident that they don't want there.

January 24, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  7. Vince

This is a current article? I thought it was "Far Back Friday" or something and I was clicking on a link to the 60s or 70s.

January 24, 2014 at 8:29 am | Reply
  8. barbara

I am pro choice. If ban abortion but make an exception for rape, you are nullifying the reason for banning abortion. If you ban abortion because you hold that a fetus is a child, then you can't say, we value life "except" if that life was conceived through rape. It's not the fetus' fault it was conceived through rape.

January 23, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  9. CALIFORNIA

Exceptions are rape, incest and if the mothers life is in danger.

Rape and incest can be decided well BEFORE 20 weeks.

January 23, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  10. ProtectAmericanJobs

Perot said it back in 1992 "Jobs getting sucked out of the country" – Many people saw it back then, but unfortunately too many people bought into the spin of "BS" that we were being sold. Seems that both parties were always able to distract and polarize voters with peripheral social issues like Gay Marriage and Abortion, which got most voters so caught up in the BS that they lost sight of the bigger picture.

January 23, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  11. Steve

There super conservatives always have trouble with this. The way I see it is if there is one exemption from abortion every woman who needs/wants an abortion will claim that exemption. In this case it will be rape, suddenly there will be a whole bunch of rapes committed by nameless faceless guys who never could possibly get caught because they don't exist. Why do we keep playing the abortion game again and again?

January 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Reply