Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

January 9th, 2014

Crossfire: Is Christie a bully?

On tonight's Crossfire, Stephanie Cutter asks if Governor Christie's "bully" persona is a problem and if it could appeal to the nation. GOP strategist, John Brabender, debates with Fmr. Gov. Bill Richardson.

Also, S.E. Cupp asks if Christie's job as the head of the Republican Governors Association will be affected.

1. Linda

I've been watching this unfold and I think Governor Christie's is bullying the system. Has he done all that he is excuse of......oh yes and more still to come, lets watch and see.

January 20, 2014 at 11:46 am | Reply
  2. Ricko

Amazing...we now call leadership being a bully. WOW, we are rudderless now. Because you are bold, tough, demanding, calculated, a visionary and sometimes force the issue does NOT make you a bully. Have any of these name callers ever run a business? Coached a competitive sport? Been a Public official? Ya think MLK didn't push hard on issues and utilize any leverage he could? Too many Americans are naïve and clueless.

January 19, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  3. CALIFORNIA

Is Obama a DICTATOR?

January 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  4. Craziguy369

Still waiting for that "Is Obama a Bully" segment... Plenty of words and actions to support the assertion..

This President has called out Senators, Fox News, and Conservative commentators by name unprecedented actions by a President.. Thrust his Obamacare on the American people despite it being an utter failure, made arbitrary changes to Obamacare independent of Congress, for every person who put Obamacare in their online basket... 40 have had their policy cancelled, he lied about keeping your doctor... And amongst his many bully style quotes Obama said "if they bring a knife to the fight we bring a gun"...

Obama's Divisive politics and Alinsky style tactics clearly make home a Bully ...

I look forward to a Crossfire segment on this subject.

January 14, 2014 at 9:46 am | Reply
  5. There is profit in fear

....From being aka Tony Saprano......To being aka BIG PUSSY.........

January 13, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  6. Jean Sartre

Does anyone believe that the corpulent, arrogant Mafia Don of NJ is NOT a BULLY? \

There are plenty of videos of him calling , the press, just plain citizens, an IDIOT while screaming in their face; we will nor mention his bull-charging a school teacher, pushing his finger in her face and shouting her down. He should be governor of a pit-bull kennel

As for his apology (?) In his news conference on Thursday, he found a way to spell apology with a thousand I’s. Then he followed it up with, “I am not a bully,” he said, reminding us mostly of “I am not a witch.” Or “I am not a crook.”

January 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  7. mickey doyle

when Christie came into office he had to deal with the second most corrupt democratic state (#1 Illinois) the corruption in this state was so bad they had to take the corrupt democrats out in busses.you have to live in this state to fully understand what this man was stuck with it was like Obama following Bush five years later he is still using this excuse.this is just a democratic ploy to take the heat off Obama and his scandals nothing more or nothing less.did you know a movie was responsible for the attack on Benghazi.wait a minute it was an attack by terrorist one of whom was released from gitmo.obama and his administration have a lot to answer for and I am glad the dummies are keeping the gwb story alive..

January 11, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Mike

A ploy is a trick to get someone to do something. There is no evidence, I have heard, that shows that the actions of Christie's staff were prompted by a Democratic trick designed to get them to do what they did. Therefore, the actions of Christie's staff cannot be categorized as a "ploy" by the Democrats. Additionally, while the Democrats may be taking advantage of what occurred, there is no question that what occurred is, at a miniumu, unethical, immoral, and in callous disregard of the public's welfare and well being.

January 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  8. Kami

This so called gov. Is not only a bully, but also immoral and I would not doubt a criminal. What is even more troubling is the people who did this, what does it say about their character ? This is what American young people are, this is what we are going to be dealing with when they do get into higher and higher levels of government . This is the type of learned behavior from irresponsible parenting or that our society is just failing.

January 11, 2014 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • Mike

I agree with your comments about character. However, I haven't seen anything yet that establishes Christie to be immoral or a criminal. If you have facts supporting these claims, please post them. As for Christie being a Bullly, he is aggressive and confrontational, but that is different than being a bully. A bully is a person who is habitually cruel to others who are substantially weaker than he is. I haven't seen anything, yet, that reaches the level of "cruelty" nor have I seen his aggressiveness targeted at anyone who isn't capable of defending themselves.

One must also be careful in using the term "bully" because our history has shown that Presidents, for example, have used their positionn as a "bully pulpit" to pressure people into conforming to the actions they desire. Using a governmenal position as a "bully pulpit" is viewed as either positive or negative depending on an whether on-lookers ag ree or disagree with the action the "bully pulpit" seeks to achieve.

January 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm | Reply
      • Kiyo118

A bully pulpit has nothing to do with bullying. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_pulpit http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bully%20pulpit

January 13, 2014 at 10:38 am |
      • Mike

To Kiyo 118: You're right. Technically, when a public official uses the "bully pulpit," it is not viewed as "bullying" but as attempting to "convince" or "persuade." Since I have been technical in some of my other comments, consistency demands that I should have been just as technical here and not used "bully pulpit" to mean using one's official postion to verbally "bully" one's adversaries into submission. But, then, I must ask is there a point at which using the "Bully Pulpit," to verbally "convince" or "persuade" is transformed into using the "Bully Pulpit" to verbally "bully" one's adversaries into submission?

January 14, 2014 at 1:36 am |
  9. Hector Slagg

Humm,
    Was General Patton a bully? Was Woody Hayes a bully. Was Lyndon Johnson a bully? Shutting down a few lanes on the George Washington is like pouring a bucket of water in the ocean and fearing the oceans rising. If these lanes closing was for some political payback it was pretty stupid to say the least.

January 11, 2014 at 9:59 am | Reply
  10. A Ki kin Donkey

For my entire 55 years of life I have watched as ambitious, smart, accomplished, well-credentialed, diversely-experienced female and black/Latino managers and executives have been undermined in the workplace by those that DON'T look like them with bogus charges of "Bitchiness or Arrogance"' Those leveling the charge tend to be inferior (professionally) to the one being attacked. SO why are we now tolerating Chris Christie? YES he's a bully. DO white guys get to still be bullies?

There is NO WAY we should be taking about multiplying Christies power 1000-fold by making him President. Want a white guy, Republican for president? Pick Jon Huntsmann. NO free pass for Christie.Sends The wrong message to or youth and the world.

January 11, 2014 at 8:19 am | Reply
  11. Dan5404

Of course Christie is a bully, We have seen it over and over again during news conferences, and some people in his state say the less-public political bullying is well known among politicians that may disagree with him. When we see the names that were redacted from some of the e-mails, this incident is going a lot deeper than just a handful of people. He'll be very lucky if one of the people involved doesn't turn state's evidence on him for firing and publicly demeaning them.

January 10, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • Mike

Are you suggesting that, when "demeaning" results from a boss terminating an employee guilty of wrongdoing, that employee is justified in takiing retribution against his boss? May I suggest that the employee is demeaned, not because of their termination, but because of their own wrongdoing. The termination is only the logical result of their own wrongdoing.

January 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  12. Ram Riva

Why is this even a question.......YES!!....he is......

January 10, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  13. Smitty

Play the Obammy card, I didn't know, works for Bammy.

January 10, 2014 at 10:42 am | Reply
  14. Mike

After contemplating what Gov. Christie said at his press conference, I realized that there is one thing the condemns him. What made his Deputy Chief believe that what she did was acceptable? What made his appointee to the Port Authority simply accept the directive he received from Christie's Deputy Chief? Why didn't alarms ring in his head as soon as he heard the directive and insist on speaking to Gov. Christie personally? What created the environment that made these two high level government officials believe this action would be acceptable to Governor Christie? What type of people were these who would fail to immediately recognize that what they were about to do was, if not illegal, was totally unethical and immoral? Subordinates don't take actions which they believe would risk being fired. They take actions which they believe would result in a commendation from their boss? What type of environment did Gov. Christie create that made these two high level appointees believe they would receive the praise and commendation of their boss for doing what they did? It matters not whether Gov. Christie knew or approved of their actions. He was their boss and their role model. Whether he intended it or not, he conveyed to them the impression that their actions were consistent with his philosophy-that he is a person who would approve of their unethical and immoral actions. That constitutes a fatal flaw in leadership. What compounds this flaw in Gov. Christie's leadership is the fact that, during his almost two hour press conference, never did he once recognize this flaw or ask himself what did he do, in setting an example for his staff, that made them believe an action so outrageous was consistent with his principles. Regardless of all his positive accomplishments, it is his failure as a role model and his failure to recognize this fault that condemns Gov. Christie.

January 10, 2014 at 12:20 am | Reply
    • kinaalvarez

I think your commentary raises some good questions, but it is not true that during the press conference he did not once ask himself what he did. He did discuss that and was even asked similar questions several times. This is why he replied that he was sad. From some commentary I have seen, they have been mocking him for saying that he was sad numerous times, but he was responding to being asked the same questions by reporters. They always seem to like to ask about "How you feel?"Perhaps he did not grovel about what he did for the entire two hours but because he had to continue to answer the questions that were being asked of him. What I didn't like about the commentary in this video was the spin to make it look like he did not care about the people of New Jersey which is not true either. He did in fact, apologize repeatedly. I am glad that I watched the entire conference, otherwise I would have to rely on the spin provided by the author of the video.

January 11, 2014 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • Mike

I may be mistaken but, if my memory serves me correctly, he said he wondered what he did that would cause a trusted staff member to lie to him. I do not recall him ever saying he wondered what he might have done to make a staff member believe it acceptable to intentionally cause a traffic jam for political purposes.

January 13, 2014 at 3:55 am |
    • kinaalvarez

I think your commentary raises some good questions, but it is not true that he never raised any questions about flaws in his appointments. He was asked questions regarding this and he provided responses to them. What is puzzling to me is why would New Jersey re-elect him if he is such a bully as the video above implies. I also am glad that I watched the entire conference so that I do not have to resort to the spin provided by the video above. Especially that Christi did not care about the people of New Jersey, and that it was just I, I, I. Not true. He was in fact very apologetic again and again. The facts remain to be seen and I will wait until they all come in before I jump into conclusions are before I let this spin get the best of me.

January 11, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  15. vvalenc

Code RED Block the Bridge .He order the code red . And now he wants to wash his own hands by firing people . He got caught ,and now his trying to justified his actions . By Firing people thats his final solution its doesn't solve anything.

January 9, 2014 at 11:13 pm | Reply
    • Mike

My interest is not to defend Governor Christie. However, I am interested in everyone being protected by the principles of fundamental fairness. When you say, Christie ordered the Code RED, please post what evidence you have to support this conclusion.

January 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  16. vvalenc

Nothing has change ,typical Republican. Firing people doesn't solve anything . He wants to wash his own hands by firing people . He order the Code RED, Block the Bridge .

January 9, 2014 at 11:09 pm | Reply
    • Mike

Are you saying that if you were Governor you would not have fired anyone but, instead, let the wrongdoers remain in positions of public trust?

January 13, 2014 at 3:59 am | Reply
  17. Caren Faisst

This woman has an agenda...puts a negative spin on the whole video. She is highly annoying.

January 9, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Reply
    • kinaalvarez

I agree with you. I am glad I watched the conference myself otherwise I would have to resort to the editing done which gives it the version she wants. I wish that I could be pundit for a day. I would never, ever edit video to cast someone in a negative light deliberately whether they were a republican or a democrat. It's embarrassing because even though someone apologizes profusely, you turn around and still stick it to them. It's awful.

January 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Reply