Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

In the Crossfire: Legalize Marijuana?
January 3rd, 2014

In the Crossfire: Legalize Marijuana?

Colorado did it. Will the nation follow?

Since Colorado has become the first state to legalize recreational marijuana, they have had lines wrapped around the corner with eager customers. But should we be worried? Or should the rest of the country follow in Colorado's lead?

We hash it out tonight at 6:30pm ET with former Rep. Patrick Kennedy and Allen St. Pierre, Executive Director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

We want you to weigh in: Should marijuana be legal nationwide?

Vote by tweeting Yes or No using #Crossfire or comment on our Facebook post. View results below or through our Poptip results page.

1. Andy Dinh

What results! If you'd like to find out more about this ongoing debate for the legalization of marijuana, check out this website I found! http://thenebula.org/the-marijuana-debate-legal-or-illegal/

February 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  2. alioshakasin

The potential benefits of medicinal Cannabis for people who suffer from certain medical conditions include antiemetic effects, appetite stimulation, pain relief, and improved sleep. As for recreation cannabis, well it's safer than alcohol so I don't see why it should not be legal. Kaliberry http://www.kaliberry.com/cannabis-variety-library/ detail cannabis strains and their effects on body.

January 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  3. killa2night

Should marijuana be legalized? I say yes, and recent poll reports that over half of Americans say "yes". Even our President Barack Obama has no problem with this unique and versatile plant. Marijuana is forbidden by international treaties and by national and local laws across the globe. But those laws are undergoing change in several countries and the U.S. The time has come for the people to take their rights and freedoms back. To stand up for we know is a non harmful plant with great possibilities to stimulate our country economy and its people's health. Marijuana has the possibly to bring this country back from the brink of another Great Depression. With New Jobs, Fuels, Textiles and healthcare benefits. We should be asking why has it not already been legalized? Marijuana probation should have never happened and is a blight on our country's history.

January 20, 2014 at 4:50 am | Reply
  4. dominic

Legalize it, tax it, end of story.

January 17, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  5. Jon

hmmm...."science says marijuana is not good for the brain" is that the same thing as these cannabinoid" thingies in this us patent: h ttp://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+patent+on+cannabinoids ? says n-e-u-r-o-p-r-o-t-e-c-t-a-n-t.... what's that mean?

January 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  6. Jon

hmmm...."science says marijuana is not good for the brain" is that the same thing as these cannabinoid" thingies in this us patent: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+patent+on+cannabinoids ? says n-e-u-r-o-p-r-o-t-e-c-t-a-n-t.... what's that mean?

January 14, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  7. David Smith

Yes!!! Legalize weed already for goodness sake! Please!!!!

January 8, 2014 at 1:55 am | Reply
    • jared

Hi , im 12 & i smoke marijuana . jk I dont smoke .

January 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  8. ajayjack

Does anyone else think Patrick Kennedy is an idiot? Geez, how in the world is a democrat such an opponent of Marijuana? God bless his uncle, but this guy is a joke.

I saw him on CNN last night. When asked if we should prohibit alcohol, his reply was "too late!". Too late??? I assume he said too late because well, Patrick wanted to go have himself a drink after struggling to argue an irrational point. What gives him the right to decide what is morally just for any other human being other than himself. Patrick Kennedy, the son of Ted Kennedy notorious for the Chappaquiddick incident.

Give it a rest Patrick Kennedy. You're arguing old tired issues. Let's progress and move on.

January 7, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  9. william

It's not a request any more. After over 40 years of watching the clowns in Washington drag their heels on the issue, we are demanding they change the laws, end the war on drugs, and perhaps even pull their heads out of their butts. Do what we say or risk your heads on pikes… your choice, but we're done asking.

January 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  10. Marc

someone please ask Newt how opposing legalized marijuana is consistent with the republican party's stance on individuals rights and freedoms. also, personal responsibility only seems to be good for some things and not all things with those guys.
    i am sick of the republican hypocrisy.that's why i will not vote for them anymore.

January 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  11. D

Funny how only religious extremists and similar close minded groups are primarily the only ones opposed to marijuana. I'm a working professional and I enjoy relaxing with my wife and our bong at night.

January 7, 2014 at 11:09 am | Reply
  12. chris

The people who cite tired old "issues" with cannabis are almost as annoying as the climate change alarmists. The peaceful herb was present since time began and should be used in all manners it was intended to be.

January 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  13. Zoe

Marijuana is not a bad thing, it's the people who smoke it irresponsibly and have turned it into a trend that gets teenagers involved in practicing the use of weed so shame on them and just because some are wakos doesn't mean it should ruin it for the rest of the people.

January 6, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  14. artviii

God of Israel “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16
    Several States in the American Union have legalized the recreational use of marijuana even with studies that state that this drug leads to the use of even more dangerous addictions. How safe is your life, liberty and property if your neighbors are intoxicated, doped up, and mentally impaired, and being so addicted, they are dependent upon the State’s permission to feed their habit. Certainly, their vote, a delegation of sovereign authority, will be used to raise up and maintain wicked magistrates who will be more than happy to support a voters dangerous addictions while conspiring to rob every citizen of everything valuable. Vattel in ‘The Law of Nations’ writes, ” But if they (public magistrates) corrupt the morals of the people, spread a taste for luxury, effeminacy, a rage for licentious pleasures…beware, citizens! beware of those corruptors! they only aim at purchasing slaves in order to exercise over them an arbitrary sway.” The foundation of democracy is virtue. The virtue of the people is the internal law that results in good behavior which is the requirement of self government in a federal republic. However, if the people become corrupted, we as nation go from self government to “survival of the fittest,” from a democracy to a mobocracy, and from the mob a strong man must rise who is called a dictator
    Vattel “It is an incontestable truth, that the virtues of the citizens constitute the most happy dispositions that can be desired by a just and wise government.

January 6, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Reply
    • chris

you might want to read Genius again cannabis is a seed baring plant.......... god couldn't enforce prohibition and god only had a tree and 2 people to watch........

January 7, 2014 at 11:14 am | Reply
  15. Matt

But there's no such thing of "marijuana", that's apart of the racist smear campaign. It's Cannabis, and it has plenty of health and industrial benefits. Hemp seeds are good for your diet.

January 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  16. stone

legalize than realize the money we savealize

January 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  17. Toni Jeske

I have smoked marijuana off and on for 36 years, I am a single mother and have 3 adult children I bought my own house and I have a full time legit job. I am not a criminal. I am treated as one because I smoke marijuana. My house was raided twice charges dropped but the stress and anxiety it caused my family and myself hard to repair. Fear that some police dog will try to eat me because I smell like weed. I pay my taxes my dogs are licensed my car is insured I smoke marijuana am I a criminal? We need to legalized so good people aren't criminals

January 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  18. Vince

Let the individual states decide if they want it legal or illegal. Take it out of the federal government's hands. If the deep south doesn't want anything to do with marijuana, let them spend their time/money prosecuting it. Even down here in GA, they are realizing that the drug laws are way too strict and many of the felonies are becoming misdemeanors because jails are filling up and are unaffordable. It isn't exactly legalization but a step in that direction. I think every state will head in the same direction but at a different pace and that is ok.

January 6, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  19. Simon

Finally, updated list of all the Colorado marijuana shops officiallyin operation:

January 6, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  20. Kurt

Legalize, regulate and tax it.

I understand that there are issues with marijuana. I understand that it is not good for you. But all of those arguments also apply to alcohol. In fact, alcohol is more dangerous in virtually EVERY way then marijuana.

It's silly that one is legal and one is not. Just make it consistent. And since we've already tried making alcohol illegal and it failed utterly... and having pot use be against the law has done very little to curtail it's use... legalization is the way to go.

January 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • Jon

you understand that marijuana is NOT good for you/ I understand that marijuana IS VERY good for you

January 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Reply