Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Finally a compromise...right?
December 17th, 2013

Finally a compromise...right?

One of the least productive Congresses in history has decided on something- a budget deal. But should they have?

Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Roger Wicker (R-MS) are in the #Crossfire, joining host S.E. Cupp and guest host Donna Brazile.

promo split 12.17

We want you to weigh in: Will Congress be more or less productive next year?

Vote by tweeting More or Less using #Crossfire or comment on our Facebook post. View results below or through our Poptip results page.

Posted by
Filed under: Budget • Debates • Donna Brazile • Fireback • In the Crossfire • Jon Tester • Roger Wicker • S.E. Cupp
  1. John G

Republicans always say they want to cut spending, and the way they carry on its like the Democrats are the only ones doing any spending. But, ask a Republican to cut defense spending ( which it should be slashed), or to close tax loopholes that benefit the very wealthy, or to stop giving all foreign military type aid. Republicans spend just as bad as Democrats, its a matter if you prefer your tax money spent on defense, or loopholes for the rich, or social programs that help the poor. I prefer the later.

December 19, 2013 at 3:50 am | Reply
  2. Dennis Stadler

I do not understand this new budget that the government is trying to pass. I am a retired Army veteran with 21 years in service. When I joined the military I had certain understandings of what I would receive when I retired. Now that I'm retired the government has decided to change their mind. I am under 62 years old and yes I can find another job but for the fact that now I have a bad back, bad knees, have implants in my neck, I suffer from memory loss, migraines, tinnitus, and a bad shoulder. Unfortunately this is not all of my problems but I did not want to bore you with the grocery list of issues. I also go to college full time to try to strengthen my mind which under the 9/11 and vocational rehab makes this possible because my body is broke maybe after college I can get a job at a desk somewhere.
    I would understand if they added in this bill this change and said it was for everybody as of now that signed up they then would have a clear understanding of what they would be receiving in the future. I think it is almost criminal to take away something you have promised. Could you imagine if civilian companies started to go into people's pensions at will saying well the government did it so now employees of GE you will get a 1% reduction in your pay. I love my country I fought for my country and I've watched many of my friends died for this country. I did not join the Army for money but unfortunately the grocery store does not accept clamshells for food. If this letter finds its way to the public I would like to openly say God bless the military and everything they do to defend our country.
    Sincerely
    (R)SFC Stadler

December 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Reply
    • ProtectAmericanJobs

This is really a shame – Our military veterans should be held in the highest regard and not under any circumstances have their, please forgive term, their legs cut out from underneath them. It's bad enough that they literally face that while serving our country, but they shouldn't be subject to that from our politicians.

These people are a frigging joke – Only it's not so funny, because for 2-3 decades, all they've been doing is screwing the American people, by stalling, spending, removing projections and allowing illegal aliens to continue to pour in and American jobs and industry to pour out, and all while collecting their American tax-payer funded pay checks, benefits and whatever else they get on the side from their various lobbyist friends.

ps: Thank you, for serving in our country's military.

December 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Reply
      • ProtectAmericanJobs

Sorry – Typo correction

I meant protections, not projections.

December 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  3. rcrhashope

Next year will be told early on. When thousands, if not millions, find themselves with no health insurance, we will know the answer right away. I predict a quarrelsome year all the way to the election.
    I predict Republicans will "take" the congress, and increase the Republicans in the house.
    Loosing his credibility will effect not only Obama, but all the Dems.

December 18, 2013 at 1:50 am | Reply
  4. Donald Keesler 1st Sgt retired Army

I see the congress has seen yet another way to shove the military retirees under the bus by away our cost of living allowance. I wonder how does the budget effect the Congress retirement pay? How long to they serve to receive a retirement?

December 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Reply
  5. Peppy

The do nothing congress ??? who really wants more laws ??? Like oblundercare worked out so well. From what ive seen proposed, were lucky they didn't pass more stupid liberal ideas !!!

December 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Reply