Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

In the Crossfire: DNC vs. RNC
December 3rd, 2013

In the Crossfire: DNC vs. RNC

Who has the edge heading into 2014 and 2016? Who is really more in touch with voters? As the GOP takes the cake in fundraising for 2013, the Democrats have a lead in party favorability.

Tonight at 6:30pmET we have an exclusive appearance between the DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the RNC chair Reince Priebus. The two haven't been in a joint interview together for over a year and Newt Gingrich and Stephanie Cutter will be bringing the hard-hitting questions.

schultz priebus

We want you to weigh in: Who do you think is more in touch with the voters?

Vote by tweeting with pass or fail using #Crossfire or comment on our Facebook post. View results below or through our Poptip results page if you are on a mobile device.

1. Nic Gibson

I'm not sure the question "who is more in touch with voters?" Is the only or most relevant question in the health of parties or which party we should support. If a doctor is very in touch with his patient and leads him to treatment that leads to death – not entirely competent doctor- or a good one. One of the questions we might ask is, "which party is actually right about the set of policies and actions that will lead to a just and prosperous nation?" And then you might ask, "how might this party get more in touch with voters and be more persuasive in explaining the importance of these policies and actions?" this is why I tend to vote Republican. Democrats are more in touch with voters in that they are more populist and are better at pandering to the fears, angers and intuitive conclusions of many voters. But I believe their principles are mostly unsound and have terrible unintended consequences both in the short and long run. I'm more interested in supporting party that I think has more accurate and effective solutions – even if for the moment they may be "less in touch with voters".

December 5, 2013 at 10:15 am | Reply
  2. Cheryl Lopez

Watching Thomas Robertson on MSNBC, just needed to get this out. I am a big fan of our President having voted for him twice and for the first time in my life actually worked at the Obama local democratic office to help him get elected the 2nd term. TODAY, on the Thomas Roberts show he introduced a NEW RNC chair person- a young black man named Mr. Watson! I hated him, rude, obnoxious pompous ass! Is Every bit the fool that their current chair
    Preibus is. THAT is the chairperson to draw in the black vote????? HAHA, What a joke! Sorry Debbie, did not want to take your thunder today but I saw this guy and flipped. Debbie you are the best! WE love you!
    They have no idea what they did by letting go as RNC chair Michael Steele,
    A man with their interest and a well spoken man with a lot of class! ARE THEY KIDDING M?. No person of color I know is going to go for this jerk! BUT mad as I am over this guy- Keep going , you will make me happy with extinction!

December 4, 2013 at 11:47 am | Reply
  3. Rcrhashope

Check out the lie Schultz tweeted. She tweeted that " Reince just CONFIRMED on crossfire that the GOP's health care plan is to go back to a broken system where the insurance companies run the show".

This is a blatant LIE, but don't let that stop you, Schultz.

December 3, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  4. Imjustsaying1963

Peter you are equally delusional

December 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  5. Imjustsaying1963

DWS is truly delusional, and doesn't know what she is talking about. I didn't care for the take over of the show!!

December 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  6. Robyn Summerlin

An opportunity for important dialog between two party leaders was wasted with two and sometimes three people talking at once. After a few minutes of this I turned it off. The moderators are part of the problem. You can do better.

December 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  7. Woman000001

Thanks Debbie for clearing up that EVERY Democrat is running on OBAMACARE...I will be sure and vote for anyone but a Democrat in 2014! OBAMACARE is a War on Women /Men. We have NO CHOICE! When Debbie had cancer she could have chosen any doctor/ hospital – she probably had the best care! OBAMACARE= NO CHOICE! Totally unaffordable unless you are filthy rich like Debbie W! I would LOVE for her to let everyone know the type of care she had to choose from when she was sick with cancer – surely NOT OBAMACARE or the lame/broken website! Debbie acts like she is concerned about others but you know she's sooo thankful that when she was sick she didn't have OBAMACARE! Shame on you Debbie you don't care about any one but yourself or you would help get rid of OBAMACARE! More people are harmed by it than help!

December 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Reply
    • DOT

That is exactly what was stated - that Democrats will run on Obamacare. She would not answer it clearly until the third or fourth time the question was asked. She is as big a spinner as I've seen. I do NOT like watching her. She just takes over.

December 3, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Reply
    • DOT

Also, Stephanie Cutter got in there with Debbie Schultz and attacked R. Preibus. Couldn't believe it! Who is the producer of this show? Have a debate, but make sure it is a debate and not a Takeover. Isn't that what a moderator is supposed to do? She is TOO Aggressive and she won't shut up ever - doesn't make any difference what show she's on. Come on Newt, you have to put a stop to Stephanie and have a few lines that would shut everyone up. But that is the producer/director's duty to make sure guidelines are carried out. UNLESS - it is a show just favoring Demos.

December 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  8. PADOKC

This is why I no longer watch CNN. No credibility. cheerleaders for the President. Just checking in to see if reason has returned to this CNN and real journalism.... nope .... I know the issues inside and out and all the talking points on both sides.

When a person tries to dominate by over talking another ...to control a so called debate... I usually say ... "note to self" ... the bloviator has no good argument." Newt...forget CNN you are wasting your time....let's just wait until the elections and when these people get a good slap in their faces ... it will finally silence them. Then... maybe there can be legitimate debate. It is "SPIN" to say Conservatives have no plans....get your videos out my friends ... there are plenty of excellent ideas. Get rid of the gargantuan 1,000+ page bill and lets begin incremental reforms.

I'm loving this...please Democrats take full ownership of Obamacare. We'd love that and we will win this battle.

I see the panic ....

December 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  9. Bobby

Another debate that Stephanie Cutter AND Wuzaman can't understand that talking over another person doesn't make your view point right–just proves your ignorant of the issues and can't face the facts. Again, embarrassed FOR them for thinking this type of tactic is an intelligent or factual way to argue their position on a law that is a disaster on every level for this country! Debbie, I hope all the Democratic Senators run on obamacare as you stated, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't because you've been caught lying before.

December 3, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  10. wesley willis

I would love to see a show where one might see some negotiations about health care instead of everyone blaming the other for one thing or the other. Obamacare has some very good things in it but it also has some very bad things in it. I can not understand why the two sides could not give and take to form health care reform that would be better for all. what we seem to have with Obamacare is an insurance law not healthcare reform.

December 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  11. Peter

I just watched crossfire with guests Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Reince Priebus. I want to thank Debbie for showing what happens when facts run into GOP talking points. Don't they realize that when toe roll out is complete and millions have new and better health care their talking points will just be leaves blowing in the wind. Priebus wants to know if the democrats will run on Obamacare...that made me laugh. What is the GOP going to run on? fifty repeal votes with no alternative and NO on every major issue of the day...Jobs, Immigration, Equal Rights for All, etc

I just want to thank Debbie Wasserman Schultz for doing an outstanding job tonight.

December 3, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

How funny. She is speaking talking points. Please take ownership of this monstrosity.....Please. Can't wait until 2014.

December 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Reply
      • Peter

There is one party doing things-offering solutions to jobs, immigration, equal pay, equal rights, affordable health care, gun control and there is one party saying and voting no to everything....those aren't talking points...those are facts. Boehner is proud of his role in the least productive congress in US history. He says they should be judged not on how many laws they pass but on how many they repeal. They repealed none.

December 4, 2013 at 8:17 am |
    • Rcrhashope

Do you really believe her behavior was appropriate? IMO she looked like a overbearing interrupting person who refused to answer any questions directly.
      She would probably be proud to have this said of her. She thrives on being the toughest in the room.

December 3, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  12. wesley willis

As long as we have politicians who think more of their party than they do of America, we will have nothing but failure after failure. There are a couple of solutions that might help solve some of this problem. One would be term limits. I do not think our founding fathers intended for our representatives to make careers our of governing our great nation. People who stay in office for a long time, acquire way too much power over time. Two, would be to do away with all private money in political races, making it less likely for undo influences from a few wealthy people.

December 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Never create a law that is 1,000+ pages long. You are asking for failure and now you have it. What needs to happen is incremental laws that actually work. I am so tired of CNN reports cheer
      leading for Obama. It is disgusting and this man and his party cannot be trusted. Vote them all out.

December 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Reply
    • Rcrhashope

I agree with both term limits and fund limits in political races. Each candidate should have a set amount of $ to spend. We need to have a fair fight based on strengths. I'll bet if the is a limit on their campaigning, they wouldn't spend so much time ripping the competitor apart as they do telling us their own platform.
      The reason CNN wants to identify who the candidates are for the presidential race so early ? – it will take them three years to dig up all the dirt on each candidate from the time each was three years old. It has become a political witch hunt rather than the debating the platform each is running on. It is sad, and we need to find a way to do better.

December 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  13. jms58

I am so sick of Newt. He and Prebus ( Pee Wee Herman) are not worth watching at this point.

December 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Reply
    • wesley willis

how could you be sick of Newt tonight? I think he had the least amount talk time because the two women just tried to out shout one another and no one could get anything out of what was being said for the most part.

December 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Well...I'm sick to my stomach.... keep going Debbie ... and I hope it takes the liberal left wing progressive arm of the Democrat party down. We need some Reagan Democrats that are smart and know what they are doing. ....Then we can get real reforms that will actually work to reduce health care costs IN A FREE SOCIETY ... and provide low cost insurance policies for our youth that is voluntary and incentive-ized and affordable. I can't believe these people are so uneducated....and that's coming from one who was educated but not all that smart. Even I know these people are brainwashed by Progressive propaganda.

These people were indoctrinated not educated. We are Tea Party Constitutionals and hold advanced degrees from universities. We actually were taught American History and Civics.

God preserve our Republic from these idiots.

December 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Reply
    • Peppy

Then why did you watch ???

December 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  14. wesley willis

It seems to me that all of our politicians has only one thing on their minds and that is what is good for their party, be it democrat or republican, not what is good for America. I could really care less about which party you are a member of as long as what one does is for the good of America , not promoting one's party. All we hear from our so-called "leaders" is pointing fingers at the other party and blaming them for any failures that might occur when in fact all are to blame when none are doing what is the best for America.

December 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Peppy

Bravo, couldn't agree more

December 3, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  15. Maria

It would be nice if every guest is given time to comment without constant interruptions.

December 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Agreed. There needs to be a green, amber, red light. I tire of this nonsense. It is disrespectful.

December 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  16. Maria

I love your show especially tonight, however, is it important to have everyone speak at the same time?

December 3, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  17. tony

Crossfire was very bias tonight. Ms. Cutter took control of the questions she wanted answered, while Newt asked
    I believe 2. For the first 15 minutes it seemed like MSNBC show.

December 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Accurate assessment. Hello producers. You are losing me.

December 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  18. Name*June Braunlich

Republicans understand business, & how to make Insurance Companies work more effectively.
    We certainly are seeing the website as the result of a President who's only experience was Community Organizing. My husband would have done a better crafting of this debacle!

December 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Read Bob Woodwaard's book "the Price of Politics" or the "amateur" both document that this president is not suited for the Office of President of the United States. When will other reporters wake up?

December 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  19. andre m.

this show is a train wreck...thought I would tune in to see RNC Chair v. DNC chair. Newt...what the heck? go back to Fox or have Zucker give you your own show...this is NOT a format which suits you...the ratings must suck for this time slot...Schultz v Priebus is awful TV viewing...if I want to watch arguing, whining, and bitching, I'll watch the Kardashians. Blech!!!

December 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

Right...the producers cheer lead for the President Progressives. That should never happen in real journalism.

December 3, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Reply
  20. True American

Why is it that Debbie Schultz cannot answer any of her questions without bringing up her personal super market run ins? That is a typical democratic problem, that and not being able to answer a question period! Let Reince talk!

December 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  21. Joe

Terrible show. Everyone over talking each other. Gingrich was the only adult at the table. Keep this up and you get removed from the DVR.

December 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

agreed.

December 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Reply
  22. Name*Alfredo

Democrat are far more in touch with the voters than the GOP

December 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

New York City Democrats....not in tune with America at all. I totally disagree and you will see come 2014.

December 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Reply
    • Peppy

Drink much ????

December 3, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • Laurie

Right, that is why California, Detroit, And Chicago are in such good shape. LOL

December 4, 2013 at 8:21 am | Reply
  23. Rcrhashope

This show may as well not have sound. Both women are speaking over everyone so much, it is impossible to hear what anyone is saying. This is ridiculous!!

December 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Reply
    • PADOKC

I'm a female and believe in equality n the genders but did you see how wrong these women were to dominate their mail counterparts. They are using their sexism...can't you see that. When I say equality...I mean equality. The guys were not allowed a word...or to finish a point. Awful ladies...from a Egalitarian Woman. Stop it.

December 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Reply
      • PADOKC

Edit ... I mean Male countrparts. wish we had an edit. Fingers flying faster than grammar....ugh.

December 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
      • Rcrhashope

I agree. (I knew what you meant). Unfortunately Cutter does this every time she is on, but tonight had extra help in her friend, Schultz. I usually don't watch Crossfire when Cutter is hosting, (it makes me want to throw things at the television), but I wanted to see Reince, so I bit the bullet. I could have skipped it as it turned out. Couldn't hear anything but the women trying to out yell each other. It was so NOT professional.
        All I learned was that there were two loud mouthed rude people on Crossfire that ruined the whole show.

December 4, 2013 at 12:35 am |
  24. Rcrhashope

Newt, shut those women up!!! No only are they both speaking over the other guest, they are also speaking over each OTHER!!! Stephanie is guilty of this every single time she is on.
    Van needs to teach her how to disagree respectfully and let others speak without her constantly interrupting.

December 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Reply