Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

November 15th, 2013

Rep. Cartwright: I'm not running away from ACA

In the Crossfire: Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA) is questioned by S.E. Cupp about whether he should be running on Obamacare in 2014. You might be surprised by his response.

Do you agree with Rep. Cartwright?

Posted by
Filed under: Debates • Matt Cartwright • S.E. Cupp
  1. Lindsey

For all the young people that are thankful that they can now get insurance that they couldn't get before, I say you never tried to get insurance before! Insurance companies love to insure young people! They simply don't have as many medical issues and consequently are better risks! Obamacare has nothing to do with you now being able to get insurance. You could always get it!

November 22, 2013 at 7:14 am | Reply
  2. Iamnotfooled

Dems who abandon the ship will pay the price in 2014. Obamacare has more people on it then off of it. It is working.

November 22, 2013 at 3:49 am | Reply
    • Okama the clown pres

You're joking right? LMAO

November 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Reply
  3. A True Conservative

Every Democrat who voted for this law needs to embrace it! Then be held accountable for it.....you wanted it...you got it!! Enjoy!

November 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  4. roy

ask my current us senator mary Landrieu what she thinks of it....I asked her back in 09/10 to reconsider her vote for this debacle...she is petrified now...I am waiting for her to come by me now...she said if I don't like it, unelect me, well, I am going to do my part...

November 21, 2013 at 5:41 am | Reply
  5. toolkit1

There was a time when Democrats were praising Pre. Obama's ability, his presence, his political prowess, etc. There was no apprehension or angst about his capabilities. It was really over the top adulation for a president that had no track record and had proven nothing politically. Anytime a flaw or fallibility was pointed out, the legions of Obama's followers came to the fore to beat back any criticism.

Democrats watched as Pres. Obama constructed the ACA boat. They looked at the rules (3000 pages) for being in the boat. They watched as the boat left the dock and they said, "This is good!" Immediately the boat began to take on water.

This is when it is time to show some courage, loyalty and guts. You are expected to support your chosen leader. You are not expected to run for cover and make plans to CYA (Cover Your Aspirations).

Forget your runs for Congress, Senate or Governor! Either start bailing or get out of the boat and drown!

November 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Reply
  6. ora pike

obama lied 26 times just on obamacare-could be more-and all the obamateam will lie cheat and steal. It was the video, I did not know IRS was targeting anyone who believed differently than I do, i did not know.................. it was said using obama's replied that if he did not get the daily newspaper he would not know about Libya/fast and furious/or anything else well except when something good happens. IMPEACH HIM-NIXON WAS FOR ONE LIE. 26???????

November 20, 2013 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • Mark D

Right wing nuts make me laugh .. They dig up every Fox news talking point as if they are real issues... They shut down the government to kill ACA and then were so upset when the Web site failed that no one could get ACA insurance easily.

Forget that the ACA will benefit millions , republicans only answer is to kill ACA... They offer no plan of their own, but they are sure its a failure before its even implemented..

The Republican party is done .. its over !!

November 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Reply
      • The Decline

Really? Funny, seems like the Dems are over. People dont like being lied to over and over and over again. And they especially dont like it when that lie kicks them in the A$$

November 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  7. Ruth

Mr. Cartwright, you need to run away from it! Every red-blooded American who has been affected by the fraud and deception of the ACA intends to see it gone. We will hold those in office accountable for the harm done to us and its massive cost we have been burdened with!

November 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  8. roy

Hard to deny or walk away from something that one supported to the max. I have to say, after voting for it and passing it to see what is in it, has me sitting back smirking. But It is akin to being on the Titanic smirking at the captain of the ship being the first to go down with the ship and I am at the stern which is suspended in the air, momentarily.

November 19, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  9. Patrick

GOP knows who to pick on. Any thinking person should see thru the porous argumnt about "either he is not telling the truth or he is incompetent:" That's all the GOP has. A vulture tendency that preys on the likes of the tea party. Quite frankly, it is obvious the GOP has nothing to run on, and how do you expect to win elections on a blank slate?

November 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • George

Wow which country have you been living in that has blocked all of the negatives coming out of the libs. Blank or chaos, I choose blank. the real problem is the gop has solutions you do not want to hear them and prince reid will not bring a vote on anything that is not controlled by the king.

November 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  10. Liblab Itis

Oh so brave ... not running away from something you can't get away from anyway.

November 19, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  11. Sniffit

"I'm not running away from Obamacare"..... "American voters are stupid, so I'm just planning on blaming republicans".

November 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  12. TexasDave

Obamacare is shovel-ready. It is time to bury it.

November 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  13. RLS

Cartwright should push for MEDICARE FOR ALL--it works rather well, it exists now and can easily be expanded to cover all Americans. In his own state, there is SB 400, a state-based single payer bill-he can also campaign for its passage. Single payer is the real answer and everyone knows it............ObamaCare is 2x as expensive, is not sustainable, does not cut the cost curve, and leaves 20 million still without insurance ,and, subsidizing over-priced, high deductible private insurance policies is a BIG WASTE of our money and poor public policy. Many newly insureds will not be able to afford to use their "insurance" due to high deductibles and co-pays. Therefore: they have NO insurance!

November 18, 2013 at 11:40 am | Reply
    • V Etzel

I agree, but it wouldn't go through Congress. Declaring the sky to be blue wouldn't get through Congress :)

November 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Reply
    • Sniffit

Why is a 'single payer system the only way"?

All this country needs is healthcare run like the DMV and Post Office.

November 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  14. California

Time will tell. I say he's lying. He'll run from it as fast as he can when the time comes.

November 18, 2013 at 10:48 am | Reply
  15. ALF

Matt Cartwright is who I voted for & will vote for him again because he is an honest man & he will stand behind what he believes is needed in his area of Northeastern, PA. He also understands that health care reform is necessary. I have a pre-existing condition & have paid higher premiums through a group plan we had at work & they just kept raising our group premiums every year. As a result, we had to go on a plan with a $3000.00 deductible & out of pocket expenses for every procedure or doctor visit & they can add up quickly. The insurance companies are out for profit only. It's a business like any other business. You are just a number & when you start costing them money they don't like it. It must be nice that no matter what happens in the economy, like a cut in hours at work or a lay off or a job lost, that you will always be guaranteed that the INSURANCE COMPANY will get their raise in your premium (YEARLY)!!!!!

November 18, 2013 at 12:29 am | Reply
    • Sniffit

Everyone KNOWS that some healthcare reform was needed....

Obamacare was never "healthcare reform", but insurance redistribution. It didn't reduce costs, but moved the payers around. Healthcare costs and premiums have increased because of obamacare.

November 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  16. Sharon

As a college educated medical professional who has spent 30+ years working with these types of insurance coverage issues and the various insurance companies, I feel ACA has many positive medical care benefits for people. I have read many sections of ACA, and have spent many hours researching. Please note I have no vested interest in ACA, as I already have 100% retirement health care benefits for rest of my life. I am only passing along correct factual info, since I have seen so many false claims re: ACA. It appears the left stretches the truth, and the right make many false whoppers. As a word of caution – just make sure to check out any claims you hear to make sure claims are true. Professionally I am quite shocked seeing so many false claim attacks. Especially since this involves our medical health care.

Now the sector of insurance market which buys their own insurance is small when compared to overall market, and has always been a wild west type of market. In past, protections for consumer were poor. ACA now provides a few protections for consumers. Work Group policy plans are way more protected, but one can still be affected if employer decides to cut back.

Now some people in this sector are very upset because insurance companies are cancelling some policies, but they are offering other options to choose from, but it is buyer beware, as these private industry insurance companies will do biased sales marketing to sell new other policies. Did insurance companies have to cancel plans now – no. Not at all. At least as long as the policies qualified for grandfather status.. Cancelling is the sole made decision of the insurance companies.

If insurance policy plans were in place when law was passed in 2010, plans could stay intact, and all could remain as is. They could become grandfathered plans if qualified which would be exempt from ACA.

Now because insurance companies always change/update policies all the time – that is where policies could lose grandfather status. If they left plans as is – consumers could keep plans, etc. When updated/ changed, then policies would most likely be cancelled as no longer compliant for grandfather status, and consumer would be offered new options. This has been going on in insurance market for years, and plans change all the time. And that will not change.

This last possibility was widely reported on back in 2010 when law was passed and then even afterwards. Things always change in the insurance industry, and it was addressed quite well then.

Government cannot prevent private industry from changing plans or cancelling plans. Do note many of these affected policies are not real great, even though consumers may declare they think they are. Professionally I do know coverage is not the best though. They definitely donot pass my own professional analysis at all. The yearly turnover rate of these particular affected plans is approximately 60%. Many consumers in these plans are only covered by one carrier for approximately one year, and then they move on.

Now another big issue consumers are upset at is possibility they may not keep their doctor. That possible dilemma has always existed too. Under ACA most consumers will actually not be affected, while some will. Now under ACA one can still indeed keep their doctor if they buy their own insurance privately, but they may have to hunt for a plan that their doctor is participating in, possibly they may have to pay more, but then again they may not. For years people have always faced possibility they may lose their doctor due to many variables that may come to be. If ones doctor dies, one's doctor cuts back on practice, doctor decides to no longer accept that insurance you carry, doctor left private practice and joins HMO etc.etc. We may all face this possible problem, and that won't change. Technically for majority of consumers in the insurance market – they will be able to keep doctors they are seeing when ACA implemented in January more. Attempting to use this as an attack against ACA actually fails big time.

Hope everyone is researching the law. HHS website has whole pdf file of the law, and can read detailed info about the law. There are lots of positive benefits. A few things I don't care for, but the positives far outweigh the few minor negatives. And we must remind ourselves anything new of this size, usually has problems initially as it is implemented.

November 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Reply
    • FRANCES

I TOO AM A 50 YR MEDICAL ASSISTANCE, TAUGHT AND WORKED,NOW RETIRED. HAVING DONE THE BILLING FOR INSURANCES OVER THE YEARS,I FEEL THE PEOPLE HAVE PAID WAY TOO MUCH FOR THEIR HEALTHCARE. PHYSICIANS FEES ARE OVER THE TOP AND OF COURSE THE HOSPITAL BILLS ARE HORRENDOUS. HAVING PAID 2,000 FOR ONE PILL IS OBNOXIOUS. tHIS IS WHERE THW CUTS SHOULD BEGIN – AT THE BASE OF MEDICINE. dOES ANYONE TALK ABOUT THIS -NO. BETTER START NOW!!!!!

November 18, 2013 at 11:19 am | Reply
  17. Brian

Agreed it would be best to get people to have insurance, but we do not solve the problem by throwing hard working citizens under the bus and forcing them to pay more for services that do not want or need- We are adults not children. I had a plan that I liked very much – it was not cheap but it worked very well and we were happy. NOW – we are actively looking for a long-term solution that is affordable.

November 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • DJC

Did you go to healthcare. gov? You said you are actively looking. Where and why. You must be at a higher income level. So please don't post wrong information. Those hard working people will get a better deal with ACA, but you have to buy the ticket to win!

November 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Reply
    • Debbie Smith

Curious as to why your health insurance company would cancel a perfectly good policy and make you look for something else. Isn't that the fault of the insurance company and not ACA?

November 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Reply
      • nelbert

Riiiight. All those millions of people just happened to lose their insurance at the same time.
        It IS the fault of Obamacare. Stop lying.

November 18, 2013 at 8:19 am |
  18. Kaleena

I signed up two days ago for my husband and I. We both work, but neither of our jobs offer insurance. I am an accountant for a small business, and he works at a potato processing plant that provides potatoes for Frito Lay. I have a college degree, he has a high school diploma. We are both in our 20s, and neither of us use tobacco. Our monthly premium is $7.19 per month, and our deductible is $1,000 per year. We couldn't be happier!!

November 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Reply
    • Sniffit

You lie.

November 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  19. Bveaw

Matt Cartwright is a great Rep. He is a very honest, trustworthy gentleman and I am glad that he represents my family and I from NE PA. We voted for him in the last election and we will vote for him again. Thank you Rep. Cartwright!

November 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  20. DJC

FYI I did sign up and didn't have any problem. So wipe that smirk off of your face Cupp. I hope Mr. Van Jones puts you in your place on a daily basis. I don't watch this program. Now that I see that Mr. Jones is on CNN I think I will.

November 16, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • jojo

signed up for ACA coverage-500 dollar deductible and only 11 dollars a month for a premium iam 32-not bad

November 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  21. FG

Cartwright handled himself pretty well, today. He seemed very different from most Dems who constantly tow the party line. I hope he's as honest, hardworking, and determined as he made himself appear to be.

November 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Reply