Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

In the Crossfire: Obamacare's promises kept?
October 29th, 2013

In the Crossfire: Obamacare's promises kept?

President Obama has said on numerous occasions that Americans will be able to keep their existing health care plan.

According to an insurance industry source, the vast majority of Americans on the individual insurance market will see modifications to their existing plans, or even cancellations.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) and The Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol join Newt Gingrich and Stephanie Cutter in the Crossfire to debate Obamacare, and whether President Obama kept his promises.

We want you to weigh in. Will Obamacare improve your health coverage? Vote by tweeting with Yes or No using #Crossfire, or comment on our Facebook post. View results below or through our Poptip results page if you are on a mobile device.

Don't forget to tweet along with the show using #Crossfire.

Posted by
Filed under: Fireback • Health care • In the Crossfire
  1. Gig 'em

I just want to know one thing. How much money do you suppose Jay Carney got for his soul?

October 31, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Reply
  2. max

the only way the DEMS win is they never shut up!! shut up and listen to the other person let them talk and you listen. that is there problem and have always been their problem. did you see how the GOP let you talk and shut up even when it was the DEMS cutting them off. this is not how you win a fight you make your selfes looks like your names DEMS.sad listen than take your turn.

October 30, 2013 at 2:00 am | Reply
  3. Woody Brown

Guess what? I'm an American living in The Netherlands. Health insurance here is also mandatory. For full coverage, I mean coverage of almost everything...I pay 100 euros/month and have a 350 euro deductible. That's it, that's all...and, it's actually about double what it was only half-a-dozen years ago.

Get your policy in Europe. Pay the extra $25/mo. for coverage while in America.

October 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  4. Redrobe

Democrat Utopia fails miserably again...is this headline serious!?!?!?!?!!? Soon there will be only a 2 party system: the Republicans and the Tea Party

October 29, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  5. simplyput

The poor people who have never had insurance have no idea what the out of pockets really mean. I speak from three years in a PCIP plan under the ACA that almost bankrupted my family when I actually had to use it. On top of the almost $17,000 in premiums, it's a total joke. Get ready, people. You will not be pleased.

October 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Reply
  6. Holt

I'm a 28 yo male. This law will not make health care more affordable for me or my wife. The law was poorly written. It was pushed through by one party, so that party could rub dirt in the face of it's opponent. We are both attorneys. Our profession used to be high paying. It no longer is. We graduated in 2011. We were both pulling in 25 bucks an hour on document review projects until my boss managed to pull a few strings and get me a job with a real firm (we will name our first child after this woman for sticking her neck out for me). This law needs me to sign up and pay outrageous prices to pay for healthcare of the old, poor, and lazy. Why should I? My parent's generation will be the last to really get any social security benefits. The economy is crap due to their poor choices, yet I am expected to pay a large sum of my monthly income for something I don't want. My wife and I do not have the money in this economy to purchase a blinged out plan at 500 bucks a month when we can barely pay rent. That being said, the other party's main goal over the last few years has been to go back to the equally broken system that was in place before this crap pile was put in place. Why don't all adult ideologues aged 35+ stop circle jerking and just scrap this pile of Santorum and pass a bill that is 850 pages shorter, doesn't allow insurance to deny coverage for pre existing conditions, no life time caps, and any insurance company that fulfills those two requirements can sale coverage in any state? If this law stays in place as is, then I think it's time for my generation and younger generations to go Soylent green on our elders and the disabled.

October 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  7. Sharon

irst of all I am college educated license medical professional who just retired three years ago after 30++ years of work experience. And because I love to research medical issues, I have done lots of research about this groundbreaking & big health care reform law – ACA. I have actually read several statues within ACA. I see and find ACA does have many positive benefits for people wanting to get better medical care. And hopefully because of these improved benefits, we will see improved patient medical condition outcomes as well.

This issue that people will be able to keep their present health care plans is correct for majority covered in US. But some who personally buy insurance on their own or are with small businesses, etc will most likely have changes made to plan or policy may be cancelled. Their carrier will still cover them and they can choose from the other options available. If their carrier has increased premiums too much, now just might be time to check other options out. They could check ObamaCare website options online, or make call to call center, or can be seen in person with locations available on website with phone numbers.

All is this is really old, old news from 2010. This was covered and hotly discussed back then. Obama addressed, HHS did press release June 2010 and also another, plus NY Times wrote report on this June, 2010. Amendment to rules came out Nov 2010. Would assume lots of other news sites reported similar views.

Here are links to reports mentioned.

Please try be easy on people. Change is very difficult for people many times. Smile – us humans are more inclined to being "creatures of habit." As a nationally certified Diabetes Care Manager, I had to deal with this factor alot. Sometimes change is not easy. One must always have empathy for the patient that has a hard time, but at same time utlilize the many good tools and strategies that will help them to change. If I succeeded, patient felt better and they were much happier, and their Diabetes and other co-existing medical conditions improved. Improved and better patient care is what it's all about.

October 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Reply
    • simplyput

Yes Sharon, this is old news. In 2010 there was a landslide election to shoot this sick puppy, but the Admin was too busy getting the IRS to look into the conservatives that opposed it. That's something I haven't seen anyone piece together, especially when democrats say that 2011 was the year to change it. Interference with the people's business big-time. This law is robbery, and taxation for breathing.

October 29, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Reply
      • Sharon

Simplyput

Actually ACA does not hurt businesses. My husband is CEO and my son is CEO of their own businesses. They saw less premium increases for this new year, from what was seen yearly in past over many years.

Kaiser did study that any premium cost increases seen this following year are due to other factors – at 97-99%. ObamaCare only contributes to increase at 1-3%, which is very very minimal. Law won't even fully taken effect until Jan, 2014. ObamaCare definitely has not hurt business. And from my extensive research re: possible effect on jobs – no jobs are affected either. It is not evidenced at all, in the statistical breakdowns for 2013.

My husband and son both carry health care insurance benefits for their employees, plus good retirement plans. My husband employs 72 people, and my son 15 people. They have no plans to change anything. Nor would they cut back employee hours to not provide health care benefits, as that is not being a good respectable and honest corporation.

Also I have no financial vested interest in ACA at all. I have 100% covered retirement health care for rest of my life from the medical health care provider organization I worked for. Whether ObamaCare succeeds or fails – I am not affected. My health care benefits are frozen.

My analysis was just a good objective medical analysis of ACA by a college educated licensed medical professional with extensive years of managerial experience. The theories and practices and etc. of applying this law are what medical health care professionals have been promoting for years. The law has many positive benefits. The positive benefits for patient are good.

Whether you choose to see the positive benefits, or not. That is your choice, and your pocket books that will be affected, not mine.

Medical care is very costly as we can attest, and costs were rising at rate of 7-9% per year. For example- my husband who was totally healthy, suddenly got cancer in 2000, and total cost for his medical care back then was over $1,000,000. In today's dollars, that same care would cost over $3,000,000.

Good medicare coverage is a necessity, no matter what age a person is. No one has a magic genie to predict when needed for extensive medical care may occur. And you sound like a responsible person, and just don't think you would make others pay for your unpaid medicare care bills. At least under ACA you can buy insurance that covers you well. The old US health care system, which I have dealt with for years never ever offered the same protections or benefits that are required per ACA at reasonable costs. If you receive health care coverage from your employer that is great.

I truly hope, if you buy insurance on your own, you will try to fairly and objectively look to see what this law has to offer. Go visit HHS website. ACA law is there in PDF format. Also HHS has done excellent job providing extensive information about ACA. You might be surprised. I see some negatives, but many positives contained in statues of law. Listening to just political soundbites is not wise. I have found most politicians lie, stretch truth, etc. Wise words from my medical professor – Best to always do research yourself to get to real facts.

Granted enrollment website has had lots of tech problems. That will be corrected. Smile – I worked for fully computerized health care provider organization. I experienced same problems when that system started. Worked great once tech problems finally corrected which took 6-8 weeks. System worked whole time, as tech gurus worked on system. The county hospital here is now going through same issues switching to computerized system. They are 5 weeks up now, and tech gurus still working on system.

Good luck to you. Hope you find what will work best for you.

October 30, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • Paul

B.S. nice try.

October 30, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  8. chrism

To the representative who was on the show - lower rates because the government provides part of the payment IS NOT A CHEAPER RATE - it is taking money from others(taxes) and giving it to the ins companies - DUMBA$$ - this is a terrible law - and the president was out saying no one would loose their coverage was due to a lot of people was saying that this would happen THINK we also said worse medical system with longer wait times - less docs, SO HERE WE GO

October 29, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Reply
  9. Name*Kathy Cooper

Florida Blue Cross Blue Shild droped over 300,000 custumers. How can they do that When Obama said they wouldn't. Who is in the wrong?

October 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  10. Tony

I still can't believe that the Government is forcing my family out of its current health care plan, that we studied and picked because it fit our situation. BC/BS of Alabama canceled our existing policy.. The new plan BC/BS OF ALABAMA is putting us in, is $400 more a month, for much worse coverage. Now I'm wondering do I use our monthly food budget, yes we do have a family budget, or do I pay to have a horrible health care plan. Thank you Mr. President!

October 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Reply
    • Woody Brown

This is a great comment...and here's why: the ACA was constructed with great input from the insurance companies. Thus, there's nothing in the ACA that prevents the insurance companies from gaming the system. They are now gaming the ACA system in order to increase their profit margins, bottom lines and executive bonuses.

The paradigm to which they are switching is this: real coverage will now only come at a premium price. Before the ACA, competition kept consumers safe from over-charging for standard coverage. Now that you can take a walk to Obamacare, which backdoors the insurance companies money via taxes, the competition incentive to keep coverage prices relatively reasonable is gone.

So, if you shopped around to get good coverage, with a moderate deductible, for a reasonable price...you're finding-out that such a policy is now a thing of the past. You will now have to pay double to get the same coverage with an increase in your deductible. Or, you can go cheap–and get very little coverage for a relatively small increase in your monthly premium, plus an astronomically high deductible.

This means that the insurance companies will get you now either up-front on premiums, or in the rear on deductibles. Either way, what it will turn-out to really mean is: you might as well not even have insurance. You are going to pay the retail price for your health care one way or another via the insurance company. Prior to the ACA, without coverage being legally mandatory, you could at least run the risk with no coverage and pay out of pocket at the emergency room, get a no insurance discount on hospital procedures and doctor visits, go to public clinics or make payments to a collections agency.

October 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Reply
    • Empathetic Canadian

I have been watching the CNN coverage on this issue for the past several weeks. I agree with this person, although everyone deserves coverage, I do agree that it should be at the expense of others. Why not pay the 95$ fine and since they cannot deny you coverage when you apply.. just wait until you need it..... then buy it.

With the law the way it is now... having the average person pay for "for profit" coverage ... will only get more expensive year after year... the insurance companies are NOT going to lose money on this deal... and since the hospitals, insurance companies, doctors and drug companies are all FOR PROFIT... I don't see how these costs cannot funnel down to the average policy holder.

Think about it this way.... a person who has cancer... can now buy coverage... her costs could exceed 50K in the first year. Her premiums will only be about $1000 per year... that is a difference of $49K... works great for her.. but the $49K difference needs to come from somewhere... which means other policyholders will need to make it up... if there is not enough policyholders to do it.. then everyone's rates will go up.

Here everyone pays a flat amount to cover Dr. and hospital visits. Effective January 1, 2013, monthly rates are $66.50 for one person, $120.50 for a family of two and $133.00 for a family of three or more. Subsidy to low income families reduces those rates even further. Our government put caps on medication costs...not popular with the drug companies but works for patients. My prescription costs for 3 months of 3 medications is $104. I met a person this past summer and their costs in the US for the same heart meds is $600+.

October 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
      • Empathetic Canadian

Sorry, meant to say... I agree everyone deserves coverage, but it should NOT be at the expense of others

October 30, 2013 at 6:40 pm |