Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

October 16th, 2013

Cutter to King: This is a fool's errand

Stephanie Cutter debates with Rep. Steve King and Rep. Donna Edwards about Congress doing its job regarding the shutdown.

1. Tyler

Coming from a member of Steve King's district in Iowa, Tea Party supporters tend to be of the tone, "Obama is wanting to stick his black hands into your pockets so he can let lazy bums sit on their asses for their whole life" and "Obama is a socialist muslim who wants to take this great Christian nation and let it fall to waste."

Thankfully Iowa State Univ. is a primarily blue campus. Tea Party spouting tends to get fact-checked here. Let's hope we can vote him out come 2014.

October 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Reply
  2. Mark Thomas

A letter to Senator Mitch McConnell of (KY),

Wow. Everyone says that you saved the day. You got an extension on the budget because you sold out on principle. Right?

So let me see if I understand a Republican...A fiscally conservative republican.

Give the Democrats a blank check and in return they give you earmarks for KY?

You may think that was a smart move but you are a Democrat now. You can't do simple math like addition and subtraction.

You raised the debt ceiling; you increase borrowing power to get money we don't have. Yeah you're a Democrat.

You see, I don't see the color of a party by listening to what they say, I watch what they do.

You are what is wrong with the GOP. You're a Democrat in Republican clothing. You are failing the GOP because you have been in office and became a hypocrite to your party values....

Your values were compromised and purchased. You don't care. I have to work harder, earn less and watch American turn into a glass ceiling of classes. The day is coming when the middle class will go on strike and choose poverty vs allow the elite legislators to continue stealing our earnings for programs we don't want and don't work!!!!

Go to the Democrats and kiss the Ring of Obama. Thanks for nothing.

October 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  3. Ashford Handbags

The House and Senate requires more women because men are pride driven without concern for the American people. Men do not listen when they have pride and egos. Women will be the culture change for Congress and Democrats. The Tea Party and Republican party has to change culture or it will become old and lost. Please care for your America as a WHOLE.

October 16, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • Daniel6

another brilliant objective analysis -welcome to CNN

October 19, 2013 at 7:53 am | Reply
      • Ashford Handbags

Thx u

October 19, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
  4. Roger

I have never seen in my life so in the tank for a President. Man I can hardly make it now, I work everyday, pay my taxes and they still want more, when is enough just that enough. I am sorry all you folks with money in your pockets to burn and burn love this fool, but us everyday folks that share the tax burden of this country and do not have enough to write off during tax time just keep getting hit everyday. I am so tired of seeing folks I know, getting huge checks back from the govt and they pay nothing in. how does a country run like that, I don't mind helping folks but 47% of my check goes somewhere else before I get a dime, that is 50% of my work goes to help someone else or run the govt. city state and federal. I am so tried of turning on the TV and listening to someone defend a man that just wants to take take take and give to someone I personally do not feel is deserving. I have a family I want to give to and cannot because of this stupid idea that we are some kind of commune. And my God, how many govt workers does it take to screw in a light bulb. Has anyone had to deal with federal agencies, it is adman nightmare. Assistant to the assistant to the assistant, you just keep getting shove to the next person and all day or week affair. I am sorry folks but most of where I am in life right now does not give a hoot whether this govt shuts down or not. it does not effect us.

October 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Reply
    • To Roger

Your statement of not wanting to give to 47% bears zero merit. Your taxes are the same under Obama as they were under Bush. If anything, you can probably make more deductions now so you are even paying less. So quit complaining about giving 50% of your work to someone else because no one in this country pays 50% taxes. And by the way, those roads you drive on, the schools kids go to, the safety that you enjoy being here and not in Russia or North Korea is what your taxes are giving you. So I am tired of people complaining about their hard earned money going to pay for others. The majority of your taxes are going to DEFENSE spending and wars. So if you want to complain about something real, try stopping our involvement in other countries and quit making unsubstantiated claims. If we Default on our debt, you better be sure it will affect you. Just wait and see...

October 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
      • Ashford Handbags

Why blame the President for your hardship? The Congress has to agree to all policies and laws. If you want a change for your life, change yourself, change your politician or become a politician. Stop blaming others for your life short falls. I am not rich but I am okay because I do what it takes to make it in this world.

October 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
      • Wrong

Completely wrong, taxes are much higher then they were previously, the federal tax rate might be close but it is still higher since the Bush tax cuts expired. You don't think about things like medicare that they take out, that HAS increased because of the ACA, so has social security, I am middle class and am also paying much higher taxes then I was years ago and that is a FACT!!! I do my own taxes and have personally seen the increase year over year!!! Funny how short of a memory people have, it was not too long ago that Obama and company raised taxes, yes a lot of it was on the ultra rich but some of it did hit the middle class!!! Just because you like the president does not make your statement true!

And to Ashford, congress tried but Obama and the liberal senate left them no choice!!!! 2 against one, nothing congress could do to stop it, they tried and lost so it is DIRECTLY Obama and the Dems fault!!

October 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • Jules

Wrong – you don't know what the heck you are talking about. You should be embarrassed,

October 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  5. Patrick J Balcazar

Most self serving and selfish group of people I have seen in the service of our Nation.

October 16, 2013 at 11:58 am | Reply