Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

October 1st, 2013

Coburn: You'll never see the same doctor

Crossfire hosts Van Jones and S.E. Cupp debate with Sen. Coburn and Sen. Stabenow about the Affordable Care Act.

Sen. Stabenow: Tea Party is happy today

Van Jones and S.E. Cupp speak with Sen. Stabenow and Sen. Coburn about Obamacare and what it means to Americans.

Posted by
Filed under: Debates • Debbie Stabenow • economy • Health care • S.E. Cupp • Tom Coburn • Van Jones
  1. tom

Do all you morons understand that prior to ACA that 85% of all Americans had health Ins?

October 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Reply
    • James

Well, i can't speak for all morons, but the statistics that said 50.000 Anericans were dying every year from lack of access to adequate healthcare combined with the testimony of physicians supporting that conclusion seemed more compelling to me than "Oh shucks! My insurance premiums are going to go up!" and "Oh No! If everyone has access to healthcare there won't be enough good doctors for the rest of us anymore!" ummm duh....

October 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply
      • Ross

James,
        I am not a fan of ACA but I like your post. Humor and actual numbers that can be debated. You obviously have no career in politics. I can't think of higher praise than that.

October 11, 2013 at 12:14 am |
  2. Clarke

I don't know about anyone else, but into days world, you never see the same doctor, and it has been that way for years. If you want to see your PCP you have to request it, other wise you see a PA. This is such a non issue. These people have no clue about health insurance so they should not speak to it, until they have all the real facts.

October 3, 2013 at 10:19 am | Reply
    • Jan

You are 100% correct Clarke, if you Kaiser or Group Health you never see the same doctor.

October 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply
  3. Craig T

First I'm not a smug Canadian but just a spectator to this debate over health care, the present system you have is only a stop gap solution. The US is one of the few developed nations in the world with out a single payer universal health care system. Yes before the attacks start on universal health care system there are delays but no one goes bankrupt because of major health issues, you can see any doctor you want and on serious issues referred to a specialist, personally I was involved in a serious vehicle accident back in the 70's had several operations on my leg including pins and skin grafts and spent 49 days in the hospital, personal cost $0, five years ago I went to MY regular DR with stomach issues, sent me to a specialist and with in two hr had a scope that revelled bleeding ulcers and was admitted to hospital for care, spent six days in hospital, out of pocket cost $0, Medicare is paid through income tax so no its not free but it's universal to all.

October 3, 2013 at 9:48 am | Reply
  4. James

I like the idea of universal healthcare for several reasons. I don't like the idea of someone self medicating on alchohol and Loratab driving toward me at 75 miles an hour on a highway. I know that here in Texas such people are often arrested for DUI and committed to drug rehabs or prisons at a cost of 40k dollars a year or more - but being proactive would cost less and seems the better part of valor. Then there are contagious diseases like hepatitus C and .. that left undiagnosed ... well who prepared your lunch today?

October 3, 2013 at 2:37 am | Reply
  5. KETTEL

YOUR RIGHT KETTEL

October 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  6. Vox populi

Most of the people who have not had health insurance don't have a regular doctor to begin with.

October 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • Yo

Tssssk, tssssk, you are obviously a bad American. You are not supposed to say the truth, you are not supposed to say that there are alot of American that don't have healthcare.

Don't you know that a system where the rich can see the doctor they want and the poor don't get healthcare is a better system than a system where the rich STILL see the doctor they want but the poor also see a doctor? That's the GOP argument. How come you don't see that, do you want poor people to be healthy too? Tsssk, tsssk, bad American, bad, bad.

October 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Reply
    • Ralph W

... and further, as someone who had medicaid while unemployed, I never had issues getting the same doctor. Ever. In fact I kept the same doctor I've had for years. My co-pay just went away, my meds were free, I got glasses for free and a free eye-exam, I got my teeth cleaned free including xray, I had no insurance company arguments about my treatment, and honestly it was far less hassle than when I had anthem or bc/bs. I'm really not sure why everyone is so terrified of insurance the government provides. *shrug*.

I did have to change my dentist, he didn't take medicaid, so I called the 3 nearest and 2 out of 3 had openings and took medicaid.

It was a horrible experience not having copays and stuff, let me tell you. I miss it.

October 3, 2013 at 5:17 am | Reply
  7. Jena

Watched this BRIEFLY (as I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing) last night... Mr. Leftside annoyed me way too much with his "If the American people are so against Obamacare... why did so many Americans sign up to the point it crashed the site?" That has got to be the dumbest thing ever. Which is saying a lot consider the whole Government shut down. The reason the website crashed under the weight of how many people were logging on is NOT because the Majority of the American people are in favor of the Obamacare... it's simply because everyone was trying to find out HOW MUCH it was actually going to cost, and how bad the plans were going to be. I have insurance... I don't need to go through Healthcare.gov to get some. But I went on the site just to see what was available, what the costs were and how it compared to the policy I already have.

"Yes they'll have a $4500 deductible... but that is better than what they have now." ... say what?
    Ok...Maybe for SOME that would be a true statement. But for the majority... doubtful. Most physicians offer a way lower cost for services to people who pay cash – who DON'T have insurance... than for those who do have insurance. My healthcare right now cost $16k/year... even with a family of four including two small children I would NOT spend that much in healthcare if I were paying cash to the physicians I use. Not where near that amount. And I would never reach the $4500/year deductible that I would have to pay on top of the "low monthly amount". I choose to have insurance for my family instead of paying cash, because I like the safety net in case something dreadful happens that requires more extensive services. I've carried insurance coverage for 10 yrs now, and still haven't used 1% of what I've paid over those 10 years...

October 2, 2013 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • Dan5404

If you pay $16,000 a year and aren't interested in bettering yourself with lower rates for a platinum plan through Obamacare, you are affluent enough to not even care about the discussion. Very often when people are young and healthy they are often cocky, bulletproof and invisible. nothing's going to happen to me...until it does. I'm 73 and I've seen it happen over and over again.

October 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Reply
      • Jena

Actually... I stated my healthcare costs $16k/year. I don't pay that much. I only pay 25% of that and my company pays the remainder. And it is for a VERY good policy with a very low deductible that I only had to pay once (and it was when I was admitted into the hospital to have a baby). Most I have to pay is $15 for office visits when we're seen for things NOT considered Well checks. Like I also said, I CHOOSE to carry health insurance just in case something more serious happens. I want that protection, so no... I don't think I'm bullet proof, invisible, or whatever, at all.
        It remains to be see if their "Platinum" policy is comparable to the policy I have now... and at a lower rate. I haven't been able to browse the policies to see. I don't think I'll find one cheaper though... and I'll be surprised if it's nationwide coverage like my policy is.

October 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • evon

Wow! You are kidding you get to keep your old insurance. is that not what the President said, however, I am hearing just the opposite from the talking heads. Thank you for telling the truth...

October 3, 2013 at 12:28 am | Reply
      • Jena

Yes. I do know I DON'T have to get insurance through the ACA... No one does. It's there (or should be there) to help those who DON'T have insurance.
        Not sure I understand your comment. Sorry.

October 3, 2013 at 11:00 am |
    • Freddy Man

You chose to have insurance because you have 2 kids and want peace of mind.!!!! Well never say never, as you have 2 kids and kids nowadays are so into their own world of texting and listening on their I phone that so many accidents have occurred by them. You fail to understand that preventive care is so important. You might have high blood pressure and diabetes or silent killer disease that you do not know. So why do you have insurance ? People who opposes insurance under Obamacare are just dumb!!! Try it and if it doesn't work ,you have an option to choose another one health insurance. If your kids are 6 feet underground you will be singing a different song .!!!

October 3, 2013 at 7:10 am | Reply
      • Jena

I really don't understand your comment at all.
        Yes... I choose to have insurance for my family and myself. I could pay less than what I'm paying now if I were to just pay cash to the Physicians we use regularly (for well checks, office visits, etc) but I want the coverage in case something more serious happens. Like I said previously. I prefer to have coverage in case something dreadful happens and the cost of medical care significantly rises.

When did I say I was against the ACA? How could you possibly have gotten that I feel preventative care is NOT important? My goodness... Perhaps you should read more thoroughly.

I'm very much into preventative care. I make sure my children are seen regularly, and are up to date on their vaccines, well-checks.

Do not make comments regarding my children being 6 ft under either, please. That's just in really poor taste.

Your whole comment is ridiculous actually. You seem to have gotten fired up about stuff that wasn't even said. Not too mention... everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And guess what... our individual opinions do not matter at all. What I say, or how I feel is not dictating what goes on in your life. You really shouldn't get all flustered and upset about my opinion. Try having a normal conversation. And commenting about someone's children being 6 ft under in your attempt to prove some delusional point will never win someone over to your side, or help them see a different point of view. It also says a lot about you and your "point of view".

October 3, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  8. mark

WOW......NEWT, S.C. Cupp sitting next to Van Jones. I haven't watched CNN since the gulf war,but I,m setting my DVR for this show.

October 2, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
  9. Susan

"..never see the same doctor...." That will be a benefit for those running prescription scams, see obama is thinking.

October 2, 2013 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • Dan5404

There are plenty of laws including some new ones that have severe jail time for those doctors. They are being caught all the time. Pharmacies also watch for fraud in prescriptions. I also don't see how you could see a different doctor all the time. That is simply not true because there aren't that many doctors.

October 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  10. Linda Taylor

I watched CROSSFIRE live and Senator Coburn interrupted Senator Stabenow over and over again. He never allowed her to finish a point. He was rude and condescending. Typical older white man who looks down on everyone else but thinks his opinion is right. Who would not want health care even if they didn't see the same doctor? People are desperate for health care and the jammed Internet servers prove that. Pack your bags tea party revelers, the party is almost over.

October 2, 2013 at 10:14 am | Reply
  11. Jay

Successful implementation? All we have seen is promises. This law has been on the books for three years and we are now just getting the details. I am not a fan of either party but when you tell me we have to pass something to see whats in it. I think you have dropped to the lowest form of dumbass. Not to mention the fact that we can't afford it as we don't even have an idea of how much its really gonna cost. So in the end we are left with a plan of great intentions, a promise of a better future and chicken in every pot. If people would stop being so damn ignorant and actually do research before voting we wouldnt actually be here. But since people vote on the whims and ideas of others without doing the necessary research on candidates this will continue to be a problem till we as a country implode.

October 2, 2013 at 9:53 am | Reply
  12. Jules

The GOP is scared to death of the success of what will forever be known as Obamacare, reminding everyone how much the GOP did not want it and how much they actually want something that helps millions of people to fail.

October 2, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
  13. Jules

More BS from the GOP.

October 2, 2013 at 8:07 am | Reply
  14. averageamericanblogger

"people who have no insurance will at least see a doctor for preventive care, does not matter if it is a different doctor"

Some of us have had the same doctor for ourselves or our children for years – we do not want to just see any old doctor we want to see OUR doctor – Obamacare is destroying health care and the people DO NOT want it.

By the way, Tom Coburn is a doctor.

October 2, 2013 at 2:42 am | Reply
    • Yo

I think you don't know how the new system works... If you want to see the same doctor, you can. Nothing changes if you don't want it to change: if you want to keep paying 6 times as much as your neighbour, you can keep seeing any doctor you want.

Just don't force your neighbour to pay such a high price too.

Basically, the GOP is saying: if you can not afford insane high prices, you don't deserve healthcare. Obamacare is saying: the prices go down for those that don't want to pay the GOP-prices.

You will see in 5 years which one of the two options is the most popular, the 1,000$ one or the 6,000$ one. Take a guess...

And the GOP knows this. They know they will loose this whole debate when the system actually starts and all but the richest of the riochest will stop paying 6 times as much as now and go to Obamacare. They know they will lose the debate when it starts. So, they even go as far as to shut down the entire governement so that it does not start... Which is pretty much the only strategy that they got left, lol.

October 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  15. Pandamonius

Scare tactics again.... That's what Coburn and his ilk have to resort to since they don't have any factual basis on which to oppose ACA. "You'll never see the same doctor". ACA is changing who is elligble for insurance, and mandating that everyone have insurance (just like all drivers need car insurance, and just like how the GOP wants all voters to have voter ID's).

With ACA, the government doesn't control which doctors you see.... only that you have access to health insurance so that you have access to adequate healthcare.

October 2, 2013 at 1:42 am | Reply
  16. S Creole

On a different note, our government could gain quite a bit of income to put a serious dent in the deficit if marijuana was legalized across the nation and taxed, just as we do to our other social drugs...tobacco & alcohol. Jobs would be created stateside rather than infiltration from cartels. There'd also be less citizen incarceration for this sort of offense, which saves the American people's dollars for inmate costs.

October 2, 2013 at 12:48 am | Reply
  17. S Creole

Does the Republican Party realize that their lack of support for the Affordable Healthcare Act is being perceived as a form of population control? Would they prefer ill, single parents die off and increase the population of orphans?

The way I see it, both Party's handsome income and all of your self-appointed immunities, are all at the expense of the American people. And it is the American people who employ you. How is it then, that the employees have full medical coverage yet want some of the employers to be without the most basic medical coverage? Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

October 2, 2013 at 12:32 am | Reply
  18. Phil

After watching this episode I understand why Michigan is in the situation it is. This women is a parrot without understanding insurance, law or common sense.

The AFfordable Care Act has staggered rates for its plans. If you have an $80 plan your deductible may be $6,000. Your networks are narrowed, and preventative care was covered in most health plans. Some states like Illinois have created start up insurance companies funded from government loans. That doesn't reek of failure. People in the industry struggle with this Act but a start up in Illinois is going to figure it out. At least Illinois is fiscally responsible......oh wait, wrong state.

October 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  19. Adrian

I'm 27 years old, I work part time, I go to school full time, I cannot afford to pay for healthcare period, Obamacare is only an attempt to shake down the people. Btw people are signing up because they do not want to get fined, not because they want healthcare.

October 1, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Reply
    • Yo

You say you can not afford healthcare. Everything that is wrong about the healthcare in the US is summed up in that single sentence. In the rest of the western worls, EVERYONE can afford healthcare. That's right...sit down and read this: in the rest of the world, EVERYONE can afford healthcare. Why? Because you got a universal healthcare system which is, if you know anything about insurance, per definition a better insurance system that what you have.

And, by the way... you say you can not afford healthcare. You do realize that that just means 'someone else will have to pay for me when I got something serious', right? If you don't see that that is a totally wrong system...

October 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Reply
    • evon

No, you would prefer someone else pays for your medical care when you go to the ER

October 3, 2013 at 12:36 am | Reply
    • Jena

Actually... I don't people are signing up because they don't want to get fined. That's kind of silly. Since the fine would be less than the cost of having health care coverage.

October 3, 2013 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • Jena

*I don't THINK people.....

October 3, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  20. Don

Sen. Coburn, people who have no insurance will at least see a doctor for preventive care, does not matter if it is a different doctor, at least they have access other than an Emergency Room.

Those with insurance have the same choices they had before. Please cease from trying to scare people.

Let the law be enacted, if it is as bad as you say, you won't have any problem winning elections and repealing the law.

Is it possible that the GOP is fearful of a successful implementation?

October 1, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Reply
    • Joe

So in order for us to avoid this we must first succomb to the consequences? Its called preventative maintenance. We need to stop this BEFORE it hurts us, not after.

October 2, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply