Crossfire | Weeknights @ 6:30 pm ET on CNN

Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

In the Crossfire: Reps. Michele Bachmann and Charles Rangel
September 19th, 2013

In the Crossfire: Reps. Michele Bachmann and Charles Rangel

JOIN THE LIVE BLOG

A government shutdown is looming again. This time, Obamacare is in the center of the debate as House Republicans have declared they will pass a bill that would only allow the government to function if the controversial health care law is defunded.

"We're going to continue to do everything we can to repeal the president's failed health care law," said House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. "The law is a train wreck."

Tonight, two House members, Rep. Michele Bachmann, who opposes Obamacare, and Rep. Charles Rangel, who supports the law, weigh in on the potential government shutdown. Is defunding Obamacare worth shutting down the government?

We want you to weigh in. If you were in Congress, would you vote to defund Obamacare?

Posted by
Filed under: Charles Rangel • economy • Fireback • In the Crossfire • Michele Bachmann • S.E. Cupp • Van Jones
  1. Dan

Crossfire used to be one of my favorite shows. Yesterdays show was an example of why it was cancelled.

Crossfire was once one of my favorite shows, however yesterdays show was a good example of why it was cancelled.
    The republican debate strategy is not to respond to any questions but to keep on repeating their assigned talking points, interrupt the other guest every time the other person speaks so they cannot make a point.
    Michelle Bachmann was great at this strategy. In the last few years we have heard her make some stupid statements proving she really is the air head we thought she was.
    Here is my suggestion, let them know they will get equal time and when one tries to interrupt cut their mike. If they continue to repeat talking points DON'T invite them again. It's your show CNN but if this garbage you aired yesterday continues I will stop watching. If I want to watch loud shouting matches I'll visit my in laws.

Michele Bachmann

September 20, 2013 at 11:01 am | Reply
  2. *sigh*

The only way to legitimize Charlie Rangel is to put him up with someone even worse. Good job Bachmann, you made Rangel look good... *sigh*

September 20, 2013 at 10:48 am | Reply
  3. Jennifer

I justed wanted to say how absolutely disapointed I am that CNN would have Michelle Bachmann on Crossfire.
    I've always respected CNN, however now I"m starting to worry. Are you turning into Fox??
    Michelle Bachman is full of so many untruths. I turned off the tv the minute I saw her. I will never watch Crossfire again.

September 20, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
  4. Oliver Dyer

I/m sorry but after so many incorrect and ludicrous statements by Michelle Bachmann, I find it difficult to take the time to listen to her debate anyone.

September 20, 2013 at 6:55 am | Reply
  5. Helen Troiani

She is a nut case. If only one could listen to what people are responding to I would stay on the Channel, but she effeminately makes me change channels. she is so loud and does not allow others to respond. I find that with most Republicans. One of these days they will blow a blood vessel.

September 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Reply
  6. GTowers

sorry charlie, but from your first comment that the "Speaker can't be the Speaker unless......" is totaly off the wall. instead of yelling at Michelle, take some time, listen, think before you engage your mouth! better yet try listening to the ridiculous route your comments take. it's like following a superball. you never know where it's goin' next. Sad state for our elected officials.

September 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Reply
  7. Linda

Ms. Cupp made some good points tonight, but when she started to insist that the exercise of trying to defund Obamacare & threatening to shut down the government was a noble "exercise" she lost me completely. The American people aren't a testing ground to prove a point.

September 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  8. Dave Stolpestad

What was that? I expected to hear a reasonable discussion about defund the Affordable Care Act or not . Instead I heard Michelle Bachman talk over,;louder, never stop talking, and completely avoid answering any reasonable question asked of her. The hosts of the show need to set ground rules to make the guests listen to each other, let each guest talk and not have one person dominate the discussion by talking louder, endlessly and not stopping and making senseless comments that were intended to deflect the question and not answer it. I'll be glad when Mrs. Bachmann exits the national stage. The scary thing is it is people like her driving the debate from the republican site. Good God! The show needs to have some sense of integrity. Wont see me watching anymore.

September 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  9. Aston

How do you have a conversation with congresswoman Bachmann? Zip her lips

September 19, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  10. Jacek

"For the people by the people" should be changed to "for the few by the people". What makes congressman and women, police officers, members of the Arm Forces, fireman and others with the medical insurance sponsored by the Fed or State so special? We all pay for it, we should all have it. All Republicans in US Congress, put your money where your mouth is. Want to defound Obamacare ? Great! All of you need to decline Fed sponsored coverage you voted for yourself and buy your coverage like every one else.

September 19, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  11. margaret

I will not watch crossfire when Michel Bachman is a guest, She is arrogant, rude and a pain to listen to her screaming over everyone to spout her nonsense. Charlie was more than polite to her even though she tried her best to shut him out of the conversation. Somebody should tell her she needs to shut up and give a chance for the other opinions to be aired. Very few sane people can stand to listen to her for more that 1 minute. She is devious and will not answer a question honestly. PLEASE no more Bachman we heard enough from her the last time she ran for election. What a humbug.

September 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Reply
  12. Frank Galey

Why does CNN think that participants simultaneously shouting at each other is either interesting or entertaining?

September 19, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  13. Nando

Still waiting for Bachmann's answer to the questions.

September 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  14. Michele

CNN did not serve their viewers by allowing that clown show, fiasco to go on. If Van and S.E. can't take control of the conversation when needed, you should fire both of them and give a competent person the chance! Bachman is a disgrace and was annoying to no end. Get it together.

September 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  15. Cindy Leach

Why in the world would you put Bachmann on any show except The Three Stooges. She is so stupid it's not even entertaining. If I were Charlie Rengel I think I would have gotten up and left. She is so ignorant and knows absolutely nothing.

September 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Reply
  16. Lisa Eckert

Really Michele Bachman. She is the worst person ever.

September 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Reply
  17. Sean

Charles Rangel said it best: "Do you know how many horses died when Ford introduced the first car?" Michelle Bachmann has a big mouth! Shut up!

September 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  18. Nick

Why are the Dem. Reps on the show all black and the Rep Reps are all white? Are they not white Dems and Black Rep?

September 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Reply
  19. ghost

Guess what day it is? Dumb Day! Yeah!

Dumb vs. Senile. At least Rangel has an excuse. Just don't look into her eyes....she'll cast an intelligence sapping spell on you...

September 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  20. Rembrant

Oh Boy! Anything featuring Michelle Bachmann is stunningly hilarious. This is a must-see!

September 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • Clauss van Leizdorf

Face it, Obama is no leader !!!!!

September 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Reply
      • Rembrant

Hey Clauss! Who the heck was talking about Obama??? I said Bachmann was a hoot in any show. You must be from the Bachmann camp: Ask about the cost of tea in China, Answer with the temperature of spit in Wichita.

September 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  21. Bill

Will Bachmann be arriving on her broom?

September 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Reply