Join the debate

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Jump in the Crossfire by using #Crossfire
on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Live blog: Paul and Menendez in the Crossfire
September 9th, 2013

Live blog: Paul and Menendez in the Crossfire

Can the President convince Congress to attack Syria?

On the left: Stephanie Cutter. On the right: Newt Gingrich. In the Crossfire, Senator Rand Paul, who opposes a military strike on Syria and Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Robert Menendez, who supports a limited strike.

Tune to CNN at 6:30pm ET for the debate and jump into the conversation on our live blog using your desktop or mobile device.

JOIN THE LIVE BLOG

Posted by
Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Clint

I highly anticipated this show's debut and was VERY disappointed. Cutter would not let ANYONE get a word in edgewise. Paul was interrupted by everyone except for Newt. The only time Newt attempted (and needed) to interrupt Menendez from one of his several 1+ minute monologues, the camera accidentally caught Cutter grabbing his arm as if to say, "Stop. Let him speak!". Gingrich could have been more assertive but was likely trying to be professional, as Paul was. I timed and counted the number of monologues and interruptions. Paul spoke 10 times for 7:08 compared to Menendez at 11 times for 9:31. Paul interrupted Menendez once, compared to six total interjections, by both Menendez and Cutter, against Paul. If I want to watch liberals dodge questions and act this unprofessional I'll tune into MSNBC or YOUTUBE the 2012 Presidential and Vice-Presidential debates...

September 9, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  2. rocky

I agree. Between Menendez's attempt at filibustering the show and Cutter's constant interruptions it was hard to listen to the other two, but I did love CNN putting on a non-liberal point of view. It was great to hear (although limited) both sides of an issue. Great improvement CNN. Your beginning to cover actual news stories and allow something different than strictly liberal guests and commentators. There is hope you may return to becoming a relevant news source once again. Congratulations!

September 9, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  3. Lindsey

Cutter is rude and obnoxious! CNN needs to hire Bob Beckel or even God-forbid Hillary Clinton as the left's voice! Cutter wouldn't let Paul talk! She kept interrupting. Gingrich was biting his lip about the whole thing but I will give him credit for keeping his cool. I don't know if he can do that every show though.

September 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Reply
  4. Dan giller

First time I have seen the show and as long as Stepanie is on the panel it will be my last. She is an overbearing big mouth with no regard for her guests. Wants the spotlight on herself and over talks her guest. The show might be on for awhile but it wont be because of her. P S Glad I didn't watch the communist Van Jones. Go Fox News.

September 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  5. Shana

I haven't watched CNN in many years. I seen Crossfire with Newt coming on so I thought I would watch. Liked everyone except the horrible Stephanie Cutter. Probably won't watch again. I will just stick with Fox News

September 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  6. William

I gave up my religious 6:30 PM NBC Nightly News viewing for your initial airing. Sorry I did so. I am SICK of commentators and guests talking, interrupting and yelling over one another. Gingrich is a much better guest than he is as a host. Your hosts seemed very unprepared for the newsmaking/breaking story. I am an avid CNN fan. The show paled after Mr. Blitzer's intrada. The show's hype was strong. The show was lame. Your producers need to regroup.

September 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  7. Steve

Can someone tell this ignorant politicians that is NUCLEAR...... NOT NUCULAR, please, it hurts my educated ears.

September 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Reply
    • rocky

You perhaps, should have proof read your comment before posting it. While you did make a point, I don't think it is the one you had intended. It would seem to more accurately reflect on the shortfalls of our current public education system than the commentator's lack of knowledge on the correct pronunciation of a word.

September 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Reply
  8. shibumi4930

Stephanie Cutter must stop interrupting Rand Paul's responses. I could care less what she thinks, I am interested in what the decision makers think. Shut up, Stephanie! You aren't all that.

September 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  9. Ann Long

Bull. Putin is not afraid of BHO. He wants the weapons/power for himself.

September 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Reply